Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

question - not getting enough air feeling
question - not getting enough air feeling
When I first put the mask on, I feel like I am not getting enough air at the beginning- I eventually do fall asleep but I would like to get more air flow in the beginning- I am on a 45 minute timer to the full flow which would be 8... but sometimes I have to lift the mask off to get a deep breath- and then I have to start the timer over...
looking for advice---
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: question
Hi cookie810,
You could try making the ramp time shorter, say, from 45 minutes to 30 minutes, (or even shorter,) or you can turn the ramp feature completely off. Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 08:24 PM)cookie810 Wrote: When I first put the mask on, I feel like I am not getting enough air at the beginning- I eventually do fall asleep but I would like to get more air flow in the beginning- I am on a 45 minute timer to the full flow which would be 8... but sometimes I have to lift the mask off to get a deep breath- and then I have to start the timer over...
looking for advice---
I had changed my ramp time to 5 min's and the works good for me, I also use auto start , pressures starts at 4 but by the time I get the mask on properly it's already over 5.4 so it does ramp up to pressure fairly quick, mine is 9-15, I do not have that feeling of the lack of air which I did have when the ramp was set longer.
So give it a try you can always change it back to what ever ramp time you need.
5 minutes for me give me enough time get adjusted and I'm almost asleep, ( which wasn't that way before I started cpap).
Good Luck and Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, shorten that ramp.

The ramp typically starts out at 4 (the lowest most machines can go) then slowly increases to the lowest pressure the machine is set. You said yours is set to 8. So for 45 minutes, it isn't increasing very much at all. It is slowly creeping along just 4 points. Meanwhile, you aren't falling asleep because you can't breathe. And you've probably gotten used to the pressure of 8 and anything less feels suffocating.

Shorten the ramp to, say, 15 minutes and see if that is enough. If not, then go to 10. Or, be brave and just turn it off. Try it prior to going to bed. Turn the ramp off. Turn on the machine, and put on the mask. I'm betting you find it fairly comfortable.

Another thing to look at is what the EPR is set to. Sometimes the EPR is too low for the user and it can feel smothering, too. If you turn the ramp off, consider setting the EPR to 3 if it is not there already.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cookie810,

There are two major adjustments for the Ramp:

1. "Start Pressure" is the pressure the Ramp starts at. Default is 4, but the Start Pressure can be set higher.

(For example, if our normal treatment pressure (perhaps named "Min Pressure" if using an auto-adjusting machine like the AutoSet, or perhaps named "Set Pressure" if using a fixed-pressure machine) is 8, the "Start Pressure" can be set to 6 or 7 or whatever is most comfortable.)

2. "Ramp Time" can be set to zero (off) or up to 45 minutes in increments of 5 minutes. Or, as an option, the AirSense 10 models have a new "Auto" setting for the Ramp Time.

When Ramp Time is set to Auto, the AirSense 10 machine will stay at the Start Pressure until our breathing pattern looks like we have fallen asleep, and then the pressure will ramp up at a rate of 1 cmH2O per minute until the pressure reaches the Min Pressure setting.

(For example, if the Start Pressure is set to 6 and the Min Pressure is set to 8, after we fall asleep the machine will take 2 minutes to ramp up from 6 to 8, and then normal therapy begins. "Normal therapy begins" means the machine will then start responding to events like apneas, hypopneas, Flow Limitation or snoring.)

I recommend you obtain the clinician setup manual for your machine (request the setup manual by email) using the links starting at this page:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=30#pid30

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep reset your ramp pressure so you can breathe or just turn it off. I personally cant get enough air below 7 my min pressure is 9 with no ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp did not work well for me at all. For me the pressure is 8.5 minimum and I like the machine hitting that pressure straight up...
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off the ramp unless you can't sleep without it.

Sometimes you can convince yourself you're getting enough air if you open your mouth and let air gush through for a while. You may also be able to get over that "dead air" feeling if you consciously take a few deep breaths and feel the air flow in and out through your nose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 545 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.