Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

questions about flow rate waveform
questions about flow rate waveform
questions about flow rate waveform.  I think the attachments show examples of what I'm asking about.

1.  is the pattern I think I'm seeing really a pattern? it looks like centrals are generally just at or slightly above the 0 flow line while obstructives are generally below the 0 flow line. not sure why this would be so, though, if not-breathing is by definition equal to the 0 flow line; unless apnea isn't necessarily a full 100% cessation of breathing...?

2.  I see quite a few flows that look like apnea but are shorter than 10 seconds.  is it fair to say that shorter 'events' - and the more of them you have - are as bad or almost as bad as an apnea meeting the clinical definition? it looks like sleepyhead has an option to track user defined events. is a proactive doctor likely to take shorter events into account if I bring them to his/her attention or are their actions limited to the 10+ second rule? 

3.  I see quite a bit of uneven breathing, especially before and after an event.  should we expect that if therapy resolves the apparently-associated events, the apparently-associated ragged breathing would resolve as well?  or is uneven breathing something different? and is that treatable?

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: questions about flow rate waveform
Your data looks normal for a person whose treatment is not as effective as it should be.  Your zoomed in data is what apnea (and near apnea) events look like.  
Your AHI is too high.  You need to work with your doctor or learn how to improve your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
good advice tedvpap. I totally agree. but in this thread I'm not asking about efficacy. just trying to understand waveform structure and patterns. posted data are intended to show examples of the things I'm asking about. hoping for additional info in response to specific questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2018, 05:02 PM)tedvpap Wrote: Your data looks normal for a person whose treatment is not as effective as it should be.  Your zoomed in data is what apnea (and near apnea) events look like.  
Your AHI is too high.  You need to work with your doctor or learn how to improve your treatment.

that's why I'm here asking questions and looking for answers!   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI is still over 5 in this session the majority was OA's clustered so may be positional and a soft cervical collar may help. I went back searching your other threads and I see you generally have an element CA's in your stats... An APAP/CPAP will not treat that, a bilevel with a backup rate or ASV would be required, you need to go back to your medical team and discuss treatment however your figures willl be considered borderline and you will need to be an advocate for your own treatment and be a squeaky wheel.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepless hope this chart helps

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks!, gwc2795, for being the first to take a stab at answering my questions. it's really good info that I refer to often but still maybe not exactly what I was looking for. no matter. I surely don't mean to put anyone / everyone on the spot so I'm okay letting it go.

and thanks jaswilliams for a clear response, not to my questions but to my general therapy status indicated by my charts here in other threads. above and beyond to search my other posts. other advice has been a little ambivalent (properly so, I expect) so I haven't understood whether I might or might not benefit from bilevel or asv.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2018, 04:12 PM)sheepless Wrote: 1.  is the pattern I think I'm seeing really a pattern? it looks like centrals are generally just at or slightly above the 0 flow line while obstructives are generally below the 0 flow line. not sure why this would be so, though, if not-breathing is by definition equal to the 0 flow line; unless apnea isn't necessarily a full 100% cessation of breathing...?

The Philips Respironics Provider Manual states that "An apnea is detected when there is an 80% reduction in airflow from baseline for at least 10 seconds or if there is no airflow detected for 10 seconds" and that "A hypopnea is detected when there is an approximately 40% reduction in airflow from baseline for at least 10 seconds."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2018, 06:05 PM)sheepless Wrote: thanks!, gwc2795, for being the first to take a stab at answering my questions.  it's really good info that I refer to often but still maybe not exactly what I was looking for.  no matter.  I surely don't mean to put anyone / everyone on the spot so I'm okay letting it go.  

and thanks jaswilliams for a clear response, not to my questions but to my general therapy status indicated by my charts here in other threads.  above and beyond to search my other posts.  other advice has been a little ambivalent (properly so, I expect) so I haven't understood whether I might or might not benefit from bilevel or asv.

I did try to answer your question in post #2 as I gave you a general response. You did not ask for clarification so I thought you understood.  I will go back and give you specific responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks tedvpap. no slight intended. you have given me good info in other threads. if feels a bit like maybe my questions are tough or unclear, so as I indicated I'm willing to drop them and keep searching on my own. I won't be unhappy if there are no more-direct responses forthcoming. on the other hand, I won't be unhappy to hear your thoughts on the matter either if you so decide!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 4 65 1 hour ago
Last Post: juniper
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 49 8 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 77 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 140 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.