Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

questions for a college paper
questions for a college paper
I'm writing a research paper about sleep apnea for my college English class and am required to include an interview. I was wondering if someone with this disorder would be able to answer some questions I have about sleep apnea and its treatments for me?
If you can help it would be very much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: questions for a college paper
Lauren,

Why don't you right down your questions here in numbered form and see how many will answer them. You might get a lot of good responses.

To start with, sleep apnoea is basically a cessation of breathing during sleep, temporary but disruptive, because the levels of oxygen in the blood are lowered and this can cause adverse effects to the general health of the body. In addition, this cessation of breathing causes one to be aroused from one's sleep, if only for a moment, disrupting the normal sleep pattern and leading to long term sleep deprivation effects. The causes are various, but if you dig around the forum, you will see almost every cause described by someone here. Sleep Apnoea broadly falls into two types, obstructive, wherein the breathing passage becomes obstructed either because the airway becomes flaccid and collapses, or because the tongue or soft palate obstruct the airway, and central, where the brain essentially forgets to tell the body to breath. Many patients have both types, and the treatment for one can exacerbate the other in some cases.

The "gold standard" for treatment is the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure device, or CPAP, which pushes air into the throat to keep it expanded. The pressure isn't very high, but it is enough to do the job. For certain types of apnoea, surgical means are effective, but not for all types. Again, digging around the forum will reveal discussions about all of this.

One of the hardest parts of CPAP therapy is compliance, or actually using the device properly - a lot of people have a hard time with that - I was lucky and took to it like a duck to water, but many find it a great ordeal or can't do it at all.

So, go ahead, ask the questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your questions, am sure many of us would love to help you~! Or, are you looking for a one-on-one conversation?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi laurend,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What are some of the questions you have?
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...aper--4434
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what we're here for, laurend. To provide information/help to those who need it!
Post Reply Post Reply
We're waiting to read your questions~! Fire away...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup....lots of willing participants here, feel free to ask away Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying to my post!
For anyone who wants to help out, my paper is due next Wednesday, so if you want to answer some questions it would be great if you could reply to them by the weekend Smile

In my report I talk about there being 3 types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed--which is a combination of the two.
1. So first I'll ask, what type of sleep apnea do you suffer from?

2. How long have you had sleep apnea?

I've found that symptoms of sleep apnea often go unnoticed by the person who has it because they don't realize what they're doing while they're asleep.
3. What symptoms did you have that lead you to find out you have sleep apnea?

I've also found that in order to be diagnosed with sleep apnea, you have to have a sleep study done.
4. Have you had a sleep study done? If so, what was that like, how long did it last, where was it done? Anything you can tell me about that experience.

5. What do you do to treat your sleep apnea? Do you use a CPAP mask?

6. If you use a CPAP, how do you like it? Did you have a hard time adjusting to it when you first started using it?

I've read that there is a surgery called a tracheotomy, that can help fix sleep apnea problems.
6. Have you had that surgery? Would you ever consider having it?

Thanks!
Lauren
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying to my post!
For anyone who wants to help out, my paper is due next Wednesday, so if you want to answer some questions it would be great if you could reply to them by the weekend Smile

In my report I talk about there being 3 types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed--which is a combination of the two.
1. So first I'll ask, what type of sleep apnea do you suffer from?

2. How long have you had sleep apnea?

I've found that symptoms of sleep apnea often go unnoticed by the person who has it because they don't realize what they're doing while they're asleep.
3. What symptoms did you have that lead you to find out you have sleep apnea?

I've also found that in order to be diagnosed with sleep apnea, you have to have a sleep study done.
4. Have you had a sleep study done? If so, what was that like, how long did it last, where was it done? Anything you can tell me about that experience.

5. What do you do to treat your sleep apnea? Do you use a CPAP mask?

6. If you use a CPAP, how do you like it? Did you have a hard time adjusting to it when you first started using it?

I've read that there is a surgery called a tracheotomy, that can help fix sleep apnea problems.
6. Have you had that surgery? Would you ever consider having it?

Thanks!
Lauren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.