Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

rapid heart and waking
rapid heart and waking
Hello all
I have been lurking for a while and decided to ask about something that I have noticing lately. I have a Resmed machine set on Auto starting at 8.5 to 18.5, epr is 2 I also have a humidifier and using Nasal Pillow mask.
I have been waking several times through out the evening and the machine is at 18 and my heart rate is rapid. I am a side sleeper (left) and rarely if at all on my back. This happens perhaps 3-4 times that I know of, each time my heart is really pumping rapidly.
Does this happen to anyone else?
I guess I should also mention that I am 45yo Male
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: rapid heart and waking
This is a common thing in terms of apnea events. But to confirm, take a look at your data.

When you wake up like this, make a note of the time. Doesn't have to be exact. Then the next day, download the data into SleepyHead or ResScan, whichever you prefer (I prefer SH). Look at the data for that time frame. You will probably see some sort of apnea event, probably obstructive. You may just see hypopnea event.

If you do not see an event or even the hint of one, get thee to a doctor. Could be nothing. Could be a bad dream. Could be something else medical that needs looking at. But you will be able to say "My AHI is within norm and no event happens at the same time" which narrows the possibilities down.

How long have you been using CPAP? If you are relatively new to it, these should decrease with time. You probably did these a lot prior to CPAP but slept through them or didn't remember. Now your body is used to NOT having events and when it does, even a minor one, you notice the reaction. This is actually a good thing!

Also, you may think you sleep predominantly on your side but you may not be. Do you have a bed partner? Ask if you do. I used to swear I only slept on my side, rarely moved onto my back (I do when I am hot). But then I find out I have been tricking myself. I go to sleep all nice and propped up but within minutes of sleep, over I go. Then, right before I wake up, I roll back over. I like to play games with myself, apparently!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi luckydog,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I will take note although it has been typically 130, 230 and 330 I have been on cpap since Jan. this year. My wife and the nurse at my study had confirmed that I do indeed sleep on my side. Prior to the machine my average ahi was 65 (i didnt miss a decimal)during the exam it was 85 in 1.5 hrs! I just thought the heart rate was a little weird and I just had an appt. with the sleep Dr. so I wont see him for another yr. My primary appt is coming and I will mention it to him as well

And thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to bed tonight and you wake up at 1:15 and again at 3:12, tomorrow you look at the data and look at what was happening just prior to 1:15 and 3:12.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 01:42 PM)luckydog Wrote: This happens perhaps 3-4 times that I know of, each time my heart is really pumping rapidly.
Does this happen to anyone else?
I guess I should also mention that I am 45yo Male
Not in my experience. Anything to do with heart, its advisable check with your doctor.
Its better the doctor say "its nothing" than you should came sooner
Post Reply Post Reply
There's always the chance it's some sort of heart problem.

Definitely check your data with ResScan or SleepyHead to see if you see any events at that time.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people with apnea also seem to have atrial fibrillation. A rapid heart beat could be a symptom of afib.
You might consider acquiring a pulse oximiter that can record overnight. That could document your heart rate and your O2 saturation, providing you and your doctor with more information to plan your next step.
I recently got a CMS50i from I believe it was supplier 19 on the list available here.
When I presented my GP with a print out from Sleepyhead and the SPO2 meter, he thought I had done a sleep study.

Don't ignore your symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 05:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you go to bed tonight and you wake up at 1:15 and again at 3:12, tomorrow you look at the data and look at what was happening just prior to 1:15 and 3:12.

I will - it seemed to occur while in REM or after a dream oddly
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 79 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 285 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 191 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 397 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.