Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cold/Flu = Increased AHI?
Cold/Flu = Increased AHI?
In the 7 weeks I've been using my CPAP, I've been consisting logging AHIs <1.

Last night was 1.9?

I know it's still a fine number, but wondering if it is just because of this awful cold/flu thing I've got going on? Does that always happen? The first night I was sick I left the mask off because I was coughing too much.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cold/Flu = Increased AHI?
Probably yes.. Anything can goof up our results, but especially if you're having any respiratory issues. Determinately leaving the mask off will goof stuff up, so try not to do that. If you must, then for that particular night find yourself a nice comfy chair and sleep in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was the first time I didn't use the mask since getting it. I actually like using it because I wake up feeling so much better than without. However, I was hacking all night and the air flow was irritating my throat even more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Congestion might increase the AHI. <5AHI is in the normal range. I would say no worries!! Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
When I am sick with respiratory stuff, I increase the humidity quite a bit. That really helps me. With coughing, I use a lozenge right before bed and spit it out just before I put on the mask. Or I use cough syrup, whichever I have on hand and is working for that particular cough. Then I am asleep and the humidity is doing its thing. If it does wake me up, I just repeat the process and go back to sleep.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips Paula. I'll increase the humidity tonight. I've been taking cough syrup anyways. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Earlier this week I had a cold with nasal congestion that had me mouth breathing all day. Put on the pillows mask and it opened me right up. I had some of the lowest AHI scores ever, and with a cold. Go figure, I expected it to be worse. Glad it's over now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 11:25 PM)snowdrop Wrote: Thanks for the tips Paula. I'll increase the humidity tonight. I've been taking cough syrup anyways. Thanks

The cough syrup may have something to do with increase in AHI. Some of the ingredients in some types of cough syrups may give rise to central apnea events.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 411 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 364 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased touwmus 23 1,957 07-02-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: touwmus
Question Ozempic and increased hypopneas arpegio 2 707 06-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.