Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

reading high amount of central apneas while on machine but not sleeping
RE: reading high amount of central apneas while on machine but not sleeping
Hi ronstar77,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and good luck to you with CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
You have come to the right place for guidance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
just chiming in, you are actually doing great.  you know why the scores are bad when they are bad.  if you are awake then you are not asleep.

suggestion: turn the machine off and then back on whenever you wake up.  This will allow you to turn those awake times off with regard to counting events.  If you feel as though you've struggled for 20 to 30 minutes, then turn your machine off and then back on.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3527]Okay I just tried the new pressure setting and these are the results I got. I was actually up a few times during the night and did not get the huge amount of centrals like I did before. The large leak was me getting up for a second and I feel pretty good. Would there be any benefit to trying to get rid of or slowly lowering my PS I have read up extensively and that can be cause of treatment emergent central apneas ( Bonjour seems very well aware of this as well) To those who responded Thank You so much and yes my numbers are much better than my sleep study which was like AHI of 70 with no centrals, the headaches are gone and after a little lull after the first month I feel I am close to being "caught up" and for that I am grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, Your OA is under 2,
I'd like to try a PS of 0, Try it before sleeping and see how it feels breathing with it at 0. If you find that ok go with it. Otherwise we want to cut it back to what you can handle.
As you cut PS back your pressure will vary. Please post after another night. Don't be surprised at further pressure changes. I'd like to see a narrow range over straight pressure but we will see. Nothing wrong with a straight pressure, you just have to watch it a little closer.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3532]Okay that sounds like a plan here are some long term results on bipap mostly decent and if it will help at all at this point my sleep lab results I only really slept at the end of the night and that was when I turned to my side because that was the only way I could initially bear the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3534][attachment=3533] the sleep lab results
Post Reply Post Reply
So far you have failed to be successfully treated (AHI < 5) for Apnea because of your Complex and Central Apnea with a BiPAP.  I would expect that you are in line for an ASV machine.  Read the threads on ASV and how it works.   An ASV detects a CA event as it starts and stops it in its tracts.  Thus you see 0 CA events.  This is what the sleep Study tells me.

In the meantime we will continue to dial you in as tightly as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite an interesting read of your sleep study.  it was done with PS=0 and it concluded that there was no effective pressure between 5 and 20 cm, and Bi-level or ASV titration should be accomplished directly.  That was a lot of progress for the one night of sleep study.

I noticed that you only had REM sleep at 18 cm, but for 35.5 straight minutes, wow!  How has your dreaming been since you began the BiPAP?

Does your BiPAP have the ability to increase to 25 cm?

Anyway, we are watching as you go through these hard transitions.  If I had your situation, I don't know what I'd do.  I just think I would start increasing epap by one or 0.5 increments and reduce PS by 1 for every epap 1 cm change to eventual EPAP of 12 and PS of 1 or 2, IPAP of 14. (considering the results of the sleep test, where you didn't even get much sleep until epap was 12 cm)

Doing 4 or more nights at each setting will give you an idea if average is getting better.  Tracking you hopelessly struggling awake time by some means will help you ignore the sleep-wake transition stuff.

I'll watch as you and bonjour talk thru the options.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay and here is what happened last night after trying to set the ps to 0 in bipap mode it just stayed at 8 I just laid there for half and hour( my AHI was 0, in PS 5 bipap mode with high pressure it would have been 20 at that point) So decided to put it into cpap mode and just go with a straight 12 pressure( I thought this might be what you were implying anyway) Well my numbers came up 3.8 AHI 2.4 AI and 2.1 CAI not bad about half my average. Unfortunately I left my sd card in my computer so no detailed data for last night. To answer the question I have not been dreaming very vividly since the bi-pap nothing like the night at the sleep study( okay maybe a few times but,.,,) and yes I know the other worker at the sleep center seemed to think he went through the pressures awful quick when she took a look to help me figure it out. I later figured out that when I did finally go to rem sleep I turned to my side which no one mentioned and I didn't realize was a big deal until I started researching on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice results, I would like you to go Auto with a 1 cm range, just enough to see if the machine is trying to adjust you. We want these under 5 results consistently. Make no more than .4 or .6 adjustments at this stage. From here on out it is pure tweaking.

Always ask your self --- How do I feel? Am I feeling better? Once you are under 5 AHI you need to concentrate more on comfort than numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 588 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,520 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.