Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

reading high amount of central apneas while on machine but not sleeping
RE: reading high amount of central apneas while on machine but not sleeping
The Best machines for complex and central apnea are ASV. Your sleep study said that is what you have, and that may be where you are heading after the next time you talk to your Dr.
Worst case it would be a backup machine. SleepRider is really good at ASV tuning.
Post Reply Post Reply
get the model number
Post Reply Post Reply
950p phillips
Post Reply Post Reply
if you can get the asv for 100, grab it, it has other modes if you don't need the asv.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay I bought the asv machine, it came with new hose and filters but no humidifier so I will have to order probably before I use or have it set up for a backup( just seems right). It has 4500 hours on it so not bad should have some life in it. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with settings that would be awesome. I already ordered the manual from the gmail account and know the basics of adjusting the pressure not much different from resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more question. No heart or cold problems right
Let's get dmert and SleepRider looking at this
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: a9eFbpZl.png]

Obviously had some major leak issues during the beginning  of the night seemed to be a good night overall if a bit short. I will get my mask adjusted better(just added a new cushion might need some breaking in). No heart issues or any other notable medical problems that I know of.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed I seem to do well when the mask is almost leaking a little more like average leak is closer to 24ml than 5ml Is there any way having to tight of a mask would cause some issues with reading central apneas? The mask does not seem to tight(no marks or anything) on the nights when I have low leak but I have noticed better numbers when it is closer to edge of acceptable leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Increased leaks could affect CA because you would be washing out more CO2 which would say you have enough O2 so don't breath now.  But that's the opposite of what you are seeing.
Herer is a section of Optimizing Therapy

Here's the thing you need to be aware of: Some people's bodies do have a bit of a problem regulating the CO2 levels in the blood when they are first put on xPAP therapy for obstructive sleep apnea. And the result of not properly regulating the CO2 level in the blood leads to the emergence of central apneas. Essentially, you only inhale when the CO2 level in the blood is high enough for your brain to tell the lungs and diaphragm, "Inhale Now". When the brain misinterprets the CO2 level or if the CPAP washes out too much CO2, the brain doesn't send the signal to "Inhale Now" and you don't take a breath when you are supposed to take one.
The problem with pressure-induced centrals seems to be aggravated by the addition of pressure. In other words, the higher the pressure setting on the xPAP machine, the more likely pressure-induced centrals are to occur. In some people, the CAs can be completely controlled simply by limiting the max pressure the machine is allowed to use. Pressures over 10 cm are more likely to cause problems with CAs, and hence if the OSA stuff is controlled with a pressure less than 10, the usual fix is to just use only enough pressure to control the OSA stuff. (A few people have trouble with pressure-induced centrals at lower pressures; other people find that their pressure-induced centrals might only be a problem if the pressure is really high--like above 15cm.)
Sometimes the problem with pressure induced centrals is self-limiting: The body takes a while to figure out the whole xPAP thing, but after a few weeks it *does* adapt and by that point many people who had some issues with pressure-induced CAs notice that the number (and length) of the CAs in their data starts to decrease. And after a few more weeks of using their machine, the CAs essentially disappear---in other words, the person gets some isolated ones here and there, but the number of them is small and the overall AHI is consistently less than 5 (and often significantly less than 5) and the person reports feeling and functioning better in the daytime. The fact that many people's bodies take a while to adjust and that the number of CAs recorded often goes down with continuing to use the machine is a major part of why many sleep docs and most insurance companies don't just immediately switch an xPAP newbie from a CPAP/APAP or BiPAP/VPAP to an ASV machine at the first sign of pressure-induced centrals. Other reasons for not immediately switching include the cost of an ASV and the fact that learning how to sleep with an ASV can be much harder than learning how to sleep with a CPAP/APAP or BiPAP/VPAP due to the drastic pressure increases used to "trigger" inhalations as a way to prevent the central apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
let me just say that the night of 7 Jun looks frickin' awesome!

if you want to include just a little extra leakage, why not cut a little patch of tee-shirt material and tuck it in between the mask cushion and your skin.  it is soothing and comfortable and allows a light leaking barely noticeable except for cooling sensation.  pretty often I get a better sleep with my homemade pad.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 605 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 713 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.