Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

really NEW to this!
really NEW to this!
I've looked at some of the postings, and I feel like I am just out of this forum's league! But here are my newbie questions, after 4 days....
-I forgot to wash my mask today. Am I going to die if I miss a day?
-When I exhale, my mask does a little bouncing on my face. I adjusted all the hook ups again and it stopped. Is something faulty besides me?
-Having issues with position and pillows. I'm a side sleeper and use 2 pillows before CPAP. Not especially comfortable now. Any advise?
-Last night, I felt I was breathing too fast, and when I exhaled, it felt like hyperventilating. Every so often, while I was trying to get to sleep, I had to open my mouth and catch my breath. I must have settled down, because I did finally fall asleep. I start at level 4 and it gradually increases to level 9. I was getting panicky about it, until the sandman won the battle. Do I need to adjust my levels?
Any advice would be a help. I really need this to work!
Ruthie Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: really NEW to this!
To start .... 4 is for children.....adults need at least 6.

Not washing your mask won't kill you but the CPAP police will arrest you (just kidding you)

No rules on pillows, just figure out what works for you. I use a down pillow. When I sleep on my side, I hang my mask and hose over the edge.

The black ribbon across the top of the board .... check out there for OSCAR. It is a software that helps us see where you are having problems. Download and follow the instructions. Then we can help with your issues better.

Change the pressure to 6 first before you publish results, because otherwise everyone will tell you that 4 is too low. It might help with your breathing issue also.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks cpapian!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, please update your profile as that is where we look to see what machine, mask, pressure, etc., that you are using.  
It helps us to help you.

To access this control panel, simply click on the link in the upper right hand corner of most any page entitled User CP
From there, simply choose the appropriate link under the Your Profile section and change or update any desired items, then proceed to click the submit button located at the bottom of the page for changes to take effect.

Thanks, and Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!
I've done this a long time, but I didn't know any more than you until I found the forum. You're in the right place.

I've had lots of help here. I've asked questions. Made changes. Now I feel like my treatment is finally working. That's how good the participants in the forum are.

You're on a good path.

You'll notice real improvement when you start making the changes that others suggest.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board - we were all new to this therapy at sometime.  You will learn slowly but in a while you will look back and know that the therapy has worked and it is worth it.  One place to read is at the top of the site WIKI.  There are a number of articles that are for the first time user and you can spend several hours reading and becoming more familiar with all of this.  Any question you have do not be afraid to ask - I guarantee they have been asked before.

1. you do not need to wash your mask daily - do it when you feel you want to.  I do mine every 3rd or 4th day.
2. your mask "bouncing" would depend of the type of mask and make - some have a flexible  outer shell that does that to seal.  If it is a nasal mask you would need to tighten it a llittle but not to much.
3.Pillows are just how you feel comfortable but not to high so you dont cut of air.
4. if it ever feels like you are not getting enough air the low pressure is to low.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you StacieBurke!
I am already feeling a little better- not drowsy all the time. Last night I was almost comfortable, and lasted 6 hours!
I had a quick look at wiki last night but there was so much there, I didn't get into it. But I will.
Good to hear about the cleaning- I was thinking I would wear out my mask by washing it all the time. I was told that they don't recommend the mask washers and to use Ivory dish soap. At least the bathroom sink was getting cleaned every day!
Have a good wkend
Ruthie

Thanks DaveL. I already feel less drowsy!
Ruthie
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  OpalRose, and I will update!
Ruthie
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello & welcome to the forum. You're gonna be in very good hands here. None better! 

I've been a member now for two years. I learn something new each & every time I log on.  For me, the transition from never having used a CPAP to using one, has been pretty smooth and problem / issue free. Thanks in part, to those on this forum and their advice and guidance. 

Anyways, you will find out that as time goes by, it will become easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ruthie, it sounds as if you have started out well and are making good progress. One thing many folks recommend is that you use color free, fragrance free dish soap to wash your equipment. It may be that the fragrances annoy some peoples' skin, or it may be something else, but my husband and I wash ours in the clear, fragrance free dish soap to play it safe.

Welcome aboard!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.