Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

really frustrated! finding a doctor in boston?
really frustrated! finding a doctor in boston?
ive tried 3 different sleep doctors, one at beth israel, one at MGH and one at St. elizabeths. none have been helpful. the most they have done is prescribe a cpap and send me for further testing.

its been a nightmare going through all the tests, using the cpap and not getting anywhere. i wear the cpap and my AHI is usually around 7 after 8 hours of sleep.

my first question is how can i research doctors properly to find a good one that will sit with me and think through the best options?

another question is how have people dealt with this kind of issue? its not clear what the problem is. i do know there is something up with my breathing even when awake, my throat closes easily and i get panicky but there is no real diagnosis for this. i have mild asthma but treatment for that doesnt really change the issue.

thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: really frustrated! finding a doctor in boston?
We need to see data to help you.  The way most of us deal with your Dr. Issue is to do it ourselves.

Can you provide details of your sleep study(s).  That will really help us provide you with direction to proceed.
The issues with the throat closing is not uncommon and can usually be fixed with some minor tweaking of your settings, but it helps if we know what they are first.  Please include any ramp and EPR settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
what kind of details will be helpful?

i had mild sleep apnea. the settings were CPAP at 8cm.
EPR is set to 3, RAMP to 5 minutes.

please let me know what other data would be beneficial to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the sleep study find anything other than Obstructive events? any central events?

Can you upload SleepHead data from your SD card?  How to is in my signature.  

in your OP you said " using the cpap and not getting anywhere."  what do you mean by that?
What are the pressure settings on the ramp?  Can you turn it off?  

Your EPR is set at 3 meaning that your pressure is ranging from 5 to 8 on each breath.  It is possible that 5 is too low for you "throat closes easily and i get panicky"
can we decrease the EPR and see if that helps?  With your AHI "around 7"  it is not unlikely that your pressure needs to be raised.

The data in the charts will Definitely help clarify this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi deerock,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
You have come to the right place for help.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,721 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,086 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.