Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

rebuild old cpap
RE: rebuild old cpap
Here is why I was considering a rebuild. I and my spouse are doing wonderfully on Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10. Daughter has boyfriend on the other side of our country. He is not taking care of himself in my opinion. He falls asleep all throughout the day. Cannot afford to even go to doctor and cannot drive. Doctor visit requires 3 bus transfers so he does not plan on going. Someone gave him a cpap machine, but does not know what the pressures are and has not had a sleep study to even know what they should be. The machine he has is dumb and does not provide any data. Does not even know what his oxygen is doing. But it is affecting his health in my opinion. Thought if I could build something economically, maybe I could help him at least find what pressures work for him. But cannot help him without a modern style machine. He lives way to far away to allow him use of our machines, besides we need ours. Just an off idea I had. Something like adding a chassis to the top of the Respironics cflex cpap machine. maybe using its power supply and sensing circuits to analog to digital converter inputs on Uno. Usinf Uno to produce pwm drive for moter blower as well. I have input keyboard and display for Uno as well as a card reader to write the data. Need to learn how data is stored on airsense so I could duplicate the same type of data on Uno. So it would be a major undertaking. Probably not worth it anyway.
Wonder if anyone knows. I opened the Respironics a little while ago, There is a J6 not used on the machine. It has 9 connections that are not labeled. Wondering if they have the capability to be used for data logging? Did Respironics have a version that did record data data like todays machines? Would at least be helpful his he could at least barrow or rent a smart machine for a couple of weeks so I and maybe others on here could help him!
Post Reply Post Reply
MJ7, I think it's a great idea to help your daughter's boyfriend pursue therapy. Clearly, he would benefit most if he had a machine that produces data, and if that data was easily accessible. My approach would be to look on Craigslist or SearchTempest for a machine that would be easier to get data from (assuming he has access to a PC to read the results). For an individual with no prior titration or CPAP experience, I think a capable auto CPAP is pretty important. I think rebuilding a legacy machine might be entertaining for you, but I seriously doubt it is worth the time or shipping costs, compared to the benefits of finding a good auto machine at $200 or less and providing that as a gift.

The Seattle Craigslist currently has a listing "Barely Used Philips CPAP Machine - $150". This appears to be a Philips Respironics Auto CPAP DS560 machine in very good condition with extra humidifier parts, hoses and carry case. I think I might go that direction instead.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option is to pick up a data recording pulse oximeter such as the CMSd50+. If the SPO2 goes low, it will give him some clues about the risks he is taking.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't want to speak for anyones financial situation, having said that, $200 on Craigslist will get you a late model auto cpap unit that will enable him to self set, and be far more helpful than the older unit pictured.

As to the keg idea, I'm in if there's bacon.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Equipment] Rebuild rather than New.... mkabru 14 4,276 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.