Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

rebuild old cpap
rebuild old cpap
I have a couple of very old Respironic Legacy cpap machines that do nothing but monitor time used on the machines. I was just thinking, would it be possible to remove the original controller and using an Uno mega controller with sd card reader/writer remake the device into something usable in todays world.
I know there or engineers on this board.
Not sure what to look for in sensors for such a controller but sound like might be do able. Daughters boyfriend has health issues and has never had or can afford a sleep study.
Thinking that pressure sensors must be in the units for device to work, just data not being recorded. Uno can provide signals to run motor. Respironics works off of 12vdc and would be nice to have BiPap machine capabilities out of some old equipment.

Am I off my rocker?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: rebuild old cpap
Might be better to look for a newer machine on Craigslist. More features, more control.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds perfect for Sheldon, Raj, Howard and Leonard.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I wouldn't mess around with it , Your dealing with Health Issue so I would let the old technology rest and look for one that is more current and has the options your looking for.
I wouldn't say you are off your rocker, just wouldn't mess around with CPAP in that way.
Good Luck, and......
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
As a software engineer and CPAP user, I'd not want to try this on myself!

See Supplier #2 on the Supplier List above, the DreamStation on Amazon, and Craig's List for much, much better alternatives. The CPAP Assistance Program of the American Sleep Apnea Association might be of help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The one detail you left off your post is "why"? I've seen you rip code and do some pretty amazing things already, so I don't doubt you can, but can't imagine a good reason for doing this. Now, I have taken old CPAP hose and and a fan to to distribute cold air in a kegerator to the tap...now that's an important project, and has provided cold taps to keep beer from foaming. I will support your crazy project, but it needs to fulfill some frivolous or entertaining purpose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 05:32 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have taken old CPAP hose and and a fan to to distribute cold air in a kegerator to the tap

Now that is a project that I can get behind!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 05:32 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The one detail you left off your post is "why"? I've seen you rip code and do some pretty amazing things already, so I don't doubt you can, but can't imagine a good reason for doing this. Now, I have taken old CPAP hose and and a fan to to distribute cold air in a kegerator to the tap...now that's an important project, and has provided cold taps to keep beer from foaming. I will support your crazy project, but it needs to fulfill some frivolous or entertaining purpose.
Kegging beer with a cpap, I could get into that.

Fred Bonjour aka beerdujour

Post Reply Post Reply
My personal feeling is that it would be more appropriate to just use the machine as a backup once the boyfriend has an Apap and has figured out his best 95%. It is his health that is at issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is why I was considering a rebuild. I and my spouse are doing wonderfully on Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10. Daughter has boyfriend on the other side of our country. He is not taking care of himself in my opinion. He falls asleep all throughout the day. Cannot afford to even go to doctor and cannot drive. Doctor visit requires 3 bus transfers so he does not plan on going. Someone gave him a cpap machine, but does not know what the pressures are and has not had a sleep study to even know what they should be. The machine he has is dumb and does not provide any data. Does not even know what his oxygen is doing. But it is affecting his health in my opinion. Thought if I could build something economically, maybe I could help him at least find what pressures work for him. But cannot help him without a modern style machine. He lives way to far away to allow him use of our machines, besides we need ours. Just an off idea I had. Something like adding a chassis to the top of the Respironics cflex cpap machine. maybe using its power supply and sensing circuits to analog to digital converter inputs on Uno. Using Uno to produce pwm drive for motor blower as well. I have input keyboard and display for Uno as well as a card reader to write the data. Need to learn how data is stored on airsense so I could duplicate the same type of data on Uno. So it would be a major undertaking. Probably not worth it anyway.
Wonder if anyone knows. I opened the Respironics a little while ago, There is a J6 not used on the machine. It has 9 connections that are not labeled. Wondering if they have the capability to be used for data logging? Did Respironics have a version that did record data data like today's machines? Would at least be helpful if he could at least borrow or rent a smart machine for a couple of weeks so I and maybe others on here could help him!

Here is what the machine looks like.
[Image: CPAP_Machine_0004_653x490.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Equipment] Rebuild rather than New.... mkabru 14 4,278 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.