Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI good, apnea effects bad
AHI good, apnea effects bad
Recently, I've been feeling exhausted. I sleep, but wake up too tired to function. Granted, I've got multiple sleeping disorders and haven't really felt rested in decades. But this is worse than average, and there's no clear cause. Except... in the past couple of weeks, I've also had several nights where I had at least one apnea dream. (That is, I dream that I'm holding my breath, am underwater, or otherwise can't breathe, and then come crashing out of the dream directly into full wakefulness.)

It seems like a good indication that my apnea is out of control. But my AHI is where it usually is, hovering around 2.

I spoke to the doc, but I'm out of town and have no good way to get her the data.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI good, apnea effects bad
Find out what the doc's email address is and send her the ResScan data. If you're concerned about privacy, you could always encrypt the file before sending the data. Just make sure she has the password for opening the file.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought about that, but she doesn't have ResScan in her office, did not seem inclined to give me her email address, and is generally not good at communicating outside of in-person appointments. (I'd try a different doctor, but she's pretty much the only one in the state who not only hasn't given up trying to fix my sleep but actually has some ideas on how to do that.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 08:41 AM)pgw78 Wrote: I spoke to the doc, but I'm out of town and have no good way to get her the data.
How long will you be out of town? If it's only a few more days, the best thing may be to try to get a face-to-face appointment as soon as you can after you get back. And then to try to not worry too much about things until you get back.

Quote:Recently, I've been feeling exhausted. I sleep, but wake up too tired to function. Granted, I've got multiple sleeping disorders and haven't really felt rested in decades. But this is worse than average, and there's no clear cause.
When you say "Recently I've been feeling exhausted", how long do you mean? A week? A month? Longer?

Did the problems start before or after you started traveling?

Also, what other sleep disorders do you have and what's being done to treat them? And how well controlled are these other sleep disorders? Any chance that one of them is beginning to act up as well?

Quote:Except... in the past couple of weeks, I've also had several nights where I had at least one apnea dream. (That is, I dream that I'm holding my breath, am underwater, or otherwise can't breathe, and then come crashing out of the dream directly into full wakefulness.)
Can you correlate the dreams with events in your data? In other words, could you turn the machine off and back on when you wake from one of these dreams and see whether there really is an apnea right before you wake up?

Quote:It seems like a good indication that my apnea is out of control. But my AHI is where it usually is, hovering around 2.
Any clustering of the events?

Quote:Any ideas/suggestions?
Look at the data for yourself. Any noticeable changes? If you are using a machine that classifies the events by type, has the distribution of events changed recently?

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
How's the leaks?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 08:41 AM)pgw78 Wrote: Recently, I've been feeling exhausted. I sleep, but wake up too tired to function. Granted, I've got multiple sleeping disorders and haven't really felt rested in decades. But this is worse than average, and there's no clear cause. Except... in the past couple of weeks, I've also had several nights where I had at least one apnea dream. (That is, I dream that I'm holding my breath, am underwater, or otherwise can't breathe, and then come crashing out of the dream directly into full wakefulness.)

It seems like a good indication that my apnea is out of control. But my AHI is where it usually is, hovering around 2.

I spoke to the doc, but I'm out of town and have no good way to get her the data.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Perhaps you don't have that high an apnea index (frequency) but some of your apneas are really bad -- with very low O2 and very high pulse rate causing an adrenaline rush and wide awake.. About $150 would buy you a recording pulse oximeter to find out if this is the case.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 198 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.