Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

reflux due to swallowing air
reflux due to swallowing air
Hi, I am on bipap auto. My pressure is 9 to 18 with a support pressure of 4. I am swallowing air all night and have severe reflux and gas pains. The reflux I have is so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack and they actually admitted me to the hospital for some testing which was normal. It is causing asthma symptoms as well. So, I was wondering what would you recommend changing the support pressure to, for me to be able not to swallow so much air. I don't want to suffer the consequences of more apneas. I have an Aircurve 10 VAuto. I need to get feeling better, this is insane. Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: reflux due to swallowing air
(11-25-2015, 08:27 PM)Lisamarieknits Wrote: Hi, I am on bipap auto. My pressure is 9 to 18 with a support pressure of 4. I am swallowing air all night and have severe reflux and gas pains. The reflux I have is so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack and they actually admitted me to the hospital for some testing which was normal. It is causing asthma symptoms as well. So, I was wondering what would you recommend changing the support pressure to, for me to be able not to swallow so much air. I don't want to suffer the consequences of more apneas. I have an Aircurve 10 VAuto. I need to get feeling better, this is insane. Thanks so much.

I just looked at my data and it occasional goes up to 18...mostly stays between 13 and 15.7...I have an adjustable bed and keep my head up. Not sure what else I can do. I guess the main question is how high can I set the Ps? If I change it to 6 or higher will it affect the amount of apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 08:53 PM)Lisamarieknits Wrote: I guess the main question is how high can I set the Ps? If I change it to 6 or higher will it affect the amount of apneas?

It might but you'd really have to just try it and watch the data to see. If you're concerned you could just change the PS to 5 first and see if anything changes significantly.

And to be honest, even if you get a few more apneas but you're able to sleep better and improve the aerophagia effects, it would be worth giving yourself a chance to adjust to the therapy. You might only need the extra pressure support temporarily.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 09:33 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 08:53 PM)Lisamarieknits Wrote: I guess the main question is how high can I set the Ps? If I change it to 6 or higher will it affect the amount of apneas?

It might but you'd really have to just try it and watch the data to see. If you're concerned you could just change the PS to 5 first and see if anything changes significantly.

And to be honest, even if you get a few more apneas but you're able to sleep better and improve the aerophagia effects, it would be worth giving yourself a chance to adjust to the therapy. You might only need the extra pressure support temporarily.

Hi, Thanks for your input. I changed the PS to 6 last night. My AHI was only 1.0...but my pressure did hit 18 several times. I have severe jaw problems causing all this. I still had GI symptoms but not as bad. Is it safe to change the PS to 7 or even 8? With 6 it did not change my AHI....so I am thinking I might go for more tonight. Thanks for your response!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 07:43 PM)Lisamarieknits Wrote: Hi, Thanks for your input. I changed the PS to 6 last night. My AHI was only 1.0...but my pressure did hit 18 several times. I have severe jaw problems causing all this. I still had GI symptoms but not as bad. Is it safe to change the PS to 7 or even 8? With 6 it did not change my AHI....so I am thinking I might go for more tonight. Thanks for your response!

Lisa, what was your 95% IPAP number last night?

You could try PS at 7 but then I'd leave it for a few nights because one night may not tell the whole story.

Another thing people sometimes do to relieve the aerophagia is lower the max IPAP for a while -- that's why I'm asking about your 95% pressure number. 95% number means that your pressure was at or below that pressure for 95% of the night. You might be able to lower your max IPAP a bit, closer to the 95% number, as another thing to try if you need more relief -- but only try one thing at a time, and give each change several nights so you can realistically evaluate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 08:27 PM)Lisamarieknits Wrote: Hi, I am on bipap auto. My pressure is 9 to 18 with a support pressure of 4. I am swallowing air all night and have severe reflux and gas pains. The reflux I have is so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack and they actually admitted me to the hospital for some testing which was normal. It is causing asthma symptoms as well. So, I was wondering what would you recommend changing the support pressure to, for me to be able not to swallow so much air. I don't want to suffer the consequences of more apneas. I have an Aircurve 10 VAuto. I need to get feeling better, this is insane. Thanks so much.

Sounds to me like you have two things going on: 1. Air being forced into the digestive tract from the CPAP treatment; 2. Reflux. Item 1 I understand is somewhat common with treatment. More distressing than anything else, especially when one burps or f*#ts at inopportune times; and yes, the unrelieved pressure can be uncomfortable. I'm 60 years old. I've had reflux for over 35 years . Reflux is a relaxation of the esophageal stomach valve. When the valve relaxes, stomach contents push themselves into the esophagus, creating the classic pain and burning called heartburn. Being overweight contributes (says he who is carrying some 80 pounds extra food storage on his person). Other major contributors are foods and drinks which cause the valve to relax: Chocolate, onions, garlic, fatty foods (cheeses, fatty meats, cream, etc.), mints, caffeine is especially bad (tea, coffee, sodas, energy drinks), tomatoes, and citrus. Alcoholic drinks are on the list. Other tips: avoid late night snacks, eat smaller, more frequent meals, DON'T EAT BEFORE GOING TO BED. Reflux can cause other health problems if not controlled so you should see a doctor. Be prepared for an possible endoscopy to check for those other problems. (Not too bad a procedure, I've had at least six) Also, you will likely need any of the medications which reduce stomach acid production such the proton pump inhibitors like Nexium or Omeprazole. There are others whose name I can't recall. Omeprazole is OTC now, so you could try it for 2-3 weeks along with dietary changes to see if it helps. Then take the results with you to the doc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 528 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 547 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  Problem swallowing using nasal pillows mask kysbie 2 858 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related? weiss27md 9 1,553 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  Air swallowing in throat EmaNTD 1 913 10-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Canuck 2
Sad Still swallowing air Drexette 0 719 03-07-2020, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Drexette

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.