Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

removing mask
removing mask
hi,does anyone else remove their mask while they are asleep ?

i don`t do it every night but when i do it`s waking my wife so she isn`t getting a good night`s sleep either.

any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
jason
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: removing mask
(08-29-2013, 06:05 PM)condohk69 Wrote: hi,does anyone else remove their mask while they are asleep ?

i don`t do it every night but when i do it`s waking my wife so she isn`t getting a good night`s sleep either.

any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
jason

condohk69, I think most of us do especially in the early stages of getting used to the mask, I still do occassionally especially in summer. Some machines, not sure about the F & P, have an auto switch off when the mask is removed or else you will need to manually do it. Obviously we should be trying to keep it on as long as possible but that is easier said than done.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started Cpap about 6 weeks ago. Twice, in the first few weeks I ripped the mask off at night, one time I sort of remember doing it and the other time I don't remember at all. I guess a lot of us go through that stage.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for the replies.my machine being a bit older model doesn`t have auto stop & i think it`s the noise from the air blowing through the mask when i take it off that is waking my better half up.

i`ve only been on cpap about 6 weeks as well & most of the time i don`t know or remember taking the mask off until my wife wakes me.so i guess it`s still part of getting used to it all.

thanks again for the replies
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider it a good thing that she is waking you! That way you can get it back on.

Since you are rather new to it, try sitting up during the day with the mask and machine on. This will help you get used to it and make it easier for you during the night. For some folks it works, for others it doesn't.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi condo; It might be worth your while to get a new machine. I've got a Resmed Elite S9. It blows air a second and stops automatically. I admire you both for trying to sleep together. My husband and I don't, and I'm glad it a way, because it would be heck on earth right now with me dealing with cpap. I have to give any spouse credit because mine would never do it, and he's a good egg otherwise. There are some things he needs, like undisturbed sleep. It's actually better to have my own bed because if I need to do this or that I can without the feeling I'm bothering him. That would be intolerable. I realize this isn't for every marriage, but alot more people are sleeping apart nowadays. You should have software too that helps you monitor what's going on. Just ideas. Hope you guys can get a handle on it all. Best of luck to you. Love, DJ
Post Reply Post Reply
I have twice with ffm, but do remember those. What I don't remember is the other night, my second night with an opus nasal pillow.
I had the chin strap on under the nasal pillow gear. When I awoke I found the chin strap on the floor and nasal pillow in place like it should be.
How did I get the chin strap off without taking off and putting back on the nasal pillow?
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everyone for the positive replies,it`s nice to know i`m not the only one that does this.

i took the mask of gain last night but remember this it,my nose was itchy.

yes my wife is a trooper & although i`ve offered she wont hear of seperate beds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't torn the mask of yet and I have been on the hose for 2 years. I think part of it is I flew for Uncle Sam for 20 years and had to wear an oxygen mask for part of it. People used to joke that I could sleep with the mask on. Actually, I found I could take a nap almost anywhere. Once I started using CPAP I found it was easier to fall asleep.

My wife often moves into the other bedroom so I can sleep. She has back and leg pain issues and will toss and turn half the night in pain.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's a fact of life that being able to sleep comes before being in the same bed with your spouse. That's the reality of it. No sense in driving each other crazy with constant irritations when you can peacefully enjoy your own space and know your partner is a stone's throw away and always there anyway. DJ
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 909 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,116 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam] S.Thompson 6 1,406 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nailer
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 18 12,233 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Morhaugn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.