Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

replacing filter
replacing filter
I have had my machine for many years and whenever I look into changing the filter, it is spotlessly clean.
It is recommended to change it every 6 months (I think) but never seen it dirty. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or its just that I really have a dustless bedroom :-)
What are your experiences?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: replacing filter
(05-26-2014, 12:19 PM)roym Wrote: I have had my machine for many years and whenever I look into changing the filter, it is spotlessly clean.

Wow. Years of use and still spotless and white? That's highly unusual. I usually have to change mine out at least once every other month.

Is the filter installed correctly, properly centered in the filter area? If it's the hypo-allergenic filter, sometimes those have different front and back sides - if so, it should have the more 'fuzzy' side facing outward and the smoother side facing inward.

Here's the difference between the two filters:

[Image: s9-filter.jpg]

Perhaps your significant other is changing the filter for you without you knowing?? Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does not sound the filter doing what suppose to do, catching up dust and dirt from entering the machine

Replace the filter anyway, there are some generic filters but I don,t recommend them, use ResMed genuine filters

Post Reply Post Reply
Unless your area is amazingly dust free it sounds odd.

My DME told me (at 3 months) that I can now have filters for changing every 2 weeks.

I asked, if they need to be changed every two weeks, how is it that we had to wait until THREE MONTHS to start doing that?

[Bunch of circular logic] followed which came down to: That's what the insurance company will let us get away with.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 12:19 PM)roym Wrote: I have had my machine for many years and whenever I look into changing the filter, it is spotlessly clean.

Replace the filter, and if it doesn't get dirty in a month or two then the air that's entering your machine is somehow bypassing the filter and is not getting filtered at all.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that just looking at the filter or comparing it to the new filter did not show the dirt.

I placed the used filter on a white piece of paper and the dirt became quite evident. Give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed says replace S9 filters at 6 months or more often if needed.

Mine look a little grey after 6 months, but not too bad.

The filters really aren't for your health, they're there to prevent machine damage by preventing dust buildup. If they clog up too bad, they resist airflow and make the blower work harder. It can overheat and damage the machine.

Even if you don't replace them at 6 months, don't let them go too long.

Maybe you just have white colored dust in your house. Rolleyes

Replace the filter, and see if you can find any dust on the old one. Tap it over something dark or something white. Dunk it in water in a clear glass and see if you see anything.

Take the water tank out so you don't spill water into the unit and then check around the little depression in the back of the blower where the filter goes. You may see a dust buildup if the air is getting past the filter.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I replace my filter once a month. I was given a 6 month supply when I got my machine. I was able to get my first round of 6 months supplies of everything yesterday (mask, filters, pillows, climateline hose). I think I was told to change mine every month or maybe I just assumed it when they told me I had enough for 6 months and could get more supplies in 6 months.

Each time I have replaced my filter, it has been a little dingy but not awful. I have wondered if it was really needing a change but mark my calendar and change it monthly any way. There are some months it has been a little dirtier than others.

When I called yesterday to make arrangements to have supplies ready for my husband to pick up the person I spoke with said 'you need everything?' Kind of made me feel like I shouldn't be needing everything all at once. I was a bit taken back by the question since I was told to make sure I get my supplies every 6 months. I don't know if I will always get a climateline hose every 6 months but I do like the idea of having an extra one around in case one springs a leak. Velcro on the headgear was definitely getting stretched out and I was getting anxious to get a new one. And I had put the last filter on last weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 07:44 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I don't know if I will always get a climateline hose every 6 months but I do like the idea of having an extra one around in case one springs a leak.

Loading up on extra supplies is recommended. I have enough to last me quite a while. My cost is very small because the insurance company pays most of it. But since I'm the one who pays for the insurance by working, I'll take the supplies they say I need.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
In general, dirty air filters actually filter more completely than clean ones. The dust particles plug up the holes in the filter and actually filter out finer particles.

The main problem with dirty filters is that this increases the pressure drop and makes it harder to pump the air through it.

Don't think of a new filter as a clean air "treat" for your lungs. It's a "treat" for your machine, and then only when it's dirty enough to make the air pump work harder.

As for supplies in general, I suggest taking replacements as often as your insurance will pay until you have a reasonable number of spares. Then only get new ones as the old ones wear out or get nasty.

Keep the old hoses and masks and swap the new with the old every week or so. Clean the set you've been wearing dry them, and let them sit dry for a week or so. Drying out thoroughly probably helps cut down on germ growth.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 844 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 119 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,879 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,185 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 911 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 820 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.