Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

resmed aircurve 10 asv settings
resmed aircurve 10 asv settings
I cannot find the ipap setting on my resmed aircurve 10 asv (asv auto). I only see the min EPAP

and max EPAP settings. I also see the min PS and max PS setting. I am also wondering what exactly does the PS setting do. And why do I need a min EPAP setting? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: resmed aircurve 10 asv settings
OK, assuming you're running in ASVAuto mode, you will have EPAP Min and Max pressures. Then you also have PS Min and Max. IPAP is automatically controlled by the machine algorithm between the Min EPAP plus Min PS and ranging to EPAP Max plus PS Max. You will not SET the IPAP directly, but it will be listed in the left panel info if you view your Daily OSCAR chart, which I'd recommend getting.

EPAP + PS = IPAP

EPAP is used to keep the throat patent or open via an air stent. EPAP Min for me as an ASV user is the minimum pressure I need to NOT have an obstructive event. And, yes EPAP can be set too low on an ASV, especially if it's a Philips Respironics. They need pressures dialed in more accurately than ResMed. Regardless, I recommend starting EPAP for most at a minimum of 6 to eliminate air starvation that most complain about if EPAP 4 is used.

PS is pressure support. I see PS as what works on Central Apnea events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The default settings are a great place to start on an ASV or slightly raise the minimum epap to 6. Then sleep with the machine and post some OSCAR charts for us to review. The ASV machine is not like a normal APAP and is magic at reducing events but it can be odd to use for the first time and can appear to be blowing at you as you fall asleep, a good blow hard into the mask will get it to back off for 3 minutes, overtime you get used to breathing slowly and evenly whilst falling asleep and you soon get synchronised with the ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for the tip. i will post charts later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the Resmed ASV titration protocol.  It calls for an EPAP min of 4.0, but we usually suggest EPAP min  5.0. EPAP max 15.0, PS min 3.0 and PS max 15.0 for first use.  This allows EPAP to range from 5.0 to 15.0 and would technically allow a maximum pressure of 30 cm, however the machine only allows for a maximum pressure of 25 cm.  It will work great for most people at these settings, but we often have to raise EPAP min where indicated.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave, thank you for replying. Yes, I’m using the Resmed air curve 10 ASV (mode: ASV auto). What confuses me is the min settings (min EPAP and min PS). As I understand it, the max EPAP setting controls the pressure to keep the throat open during the night. And the max PS setting controls the amount of pressure that forces you to take a breath when you stop breathing during the night. So, I’m wondering when do the min EPAP and min PS settings come into play.
My current settings area:
Min EPAP: 8.0
Max EPAP: 13.0
Min PS: 4.0
Max PS: 17.0

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome,

OK, your numbers posted is what I'll base my answer BTW. The EPAP range, your EPAP 8-13, is used to keep the airway open and since it is exhale pressure, you exhale against a pressure between the same 8-13. It depends on what the algorithm states is needed via the recent past few seconds of breaths.

Any PS number is the result of subtracting IPAP-EPAP even though we plug in only EPAP and PS on this unit. So by the numbers, you can possibly exhale on 8 and inhale on a minimum of 12. In other words, on EPAP 8, your PS/pressure support ADDS 4 minimum to get IPAP Min 12.

Here's what your numbers give as the range of operating pressures:
EPAP...8-13
PS......4-17
IPAP...12-30
I believe this ASV can choose whatever EPAP it needs in the range you input, and it also selects the PS within your input range as well. Both constantly shift between any pressure between Min-Max quickly and as needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An ASV varies pressure on a breath by breath basis so there is no requirement to have a high Epap like you would generally do with an APAP.

In auto ASV mode the base EPAP will be raised if necessary 5 or 6 is generally sufficient. I would not start with a min Epap of 8 as set on your current machine that value seems too high for an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Thanks  for the suggestion. I'm going to try a min EPAP setting of 6. let's see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,487 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,327 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.