Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

resmed humidifier not using water
resmed humidifier not using water
remed s9 elite with humidifier set to 3 did not use any water and my throat is dry, does the humidifier start on its own or do i have to hold the button down for 3 seconds.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: resmed humidifier not using water
Starts on its own. Three is the standard starting setting. I run at 5; and it uses nearly all the water in a night's session.
When you first press start, you have an opportunity the select your setting by rotating the knob.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vicpete,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might turn the humidifier up a notch or two and see if that helps.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try it on 4 or 5.

The machine will use the humidity of the room as part of its calculation. So if the room is humid, it won't use much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The 3 seconds is when you want to pre-heat the water before going to bed so you breathe warm air as soon as you put the mask on.
See page 5 http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

Hose cover may helps, I use the ClimateLine (heated hose), set on auto mode all year around, uses between 1/4 and 1/3 of the tank
ClimateLine:
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...ntrol.html
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Dry throat is an indication of mouth breathing or/and stuffy nose
Using nasal pillows or nasal mask is a must to keep mouth closed at all times
Chinstrap helps keeps mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks

You can check leak rate and AHI on the screen sleep report and download the data on your computer using SleepyHead (SH) or/and Resscan softare, SH link at top right of the page, We want see AHI below 5 and leak rate below 24 L/m, of course feeling bit better too Coffee

The clinical manual is available via email, you can ask for it from here
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

S9 setup video and pictures instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

As the green color, bit too late or rather early for St Patrick day Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The room air and humidity can affect water usage.

Put on the mask and start the machine. The light in the window of the humidifier should come on. If it's blue the humidifier is off, if it's orange, it's on. Turn the knob to the left until the light is blue. Then turn it right and see that it turns orange. Crank it all the way up to 6. Let it run for a few minutes, then turn off the machine.

Be careful, things are hot, so don't burn yourself.

Open the humidifier, being careful in case it's hot. Work your way down to the metal part and see if it's hot on the bottom. Then (carefully) feel the heater plate on the bottom of the humidifier. If it's not hot, check further.

I think the heated hose has a temperature and humidity sensor. I'm not sure whether the humidifier itself has temperature and humidity sensors. This sensing may make the machine not heat if the room is warm and humid.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 11:32 AM)vicpete Wrote: remed s9 elite with humidifier set to 3 did not use any water and my throat is dry, does the humidifier start on its own or do i have to hold the button down for 3 seconds.

I've only just started using a CPAP (one week) and I've had 2 machines so far - the ResMed S9 Escape (which was replaced because it was incorrect, I need data collected) and now the ResMed S9 Elite w the humidifier... the same as you. I also had this same problem with both machines. I'd wake up with cold dry air blowing and I have been getting bad headaches and sinus problems because of it. Today I saw a very knowledgeable CPAP medical supplier/fitter guy (whatever you call it) and he fixed this for me! He explained that the humidifier does detect the humidity in the air and if it's sufficient for your setting then the humidifier will not turn on. (Turning on means that the heater plate heats up the water to warm-tepid which allows humidity to be released into your air hose.) This automatic adjustment to the humidity in the ambient air is the default setting on the machine. He went ahead and changed the setup in my CPAP machine so that the humidifier running is selected by me. Now it will constantly run at whatever setting I decide to set it at. This will give me more control. Now if it seems like too much or not enough humidity I can just dial the humidity up or down and it will change right away. Apparently there are other "clinical" settings for our machine that I could actually get to myself and change (like the pressure) but he said he's not allowed to show me how to get to them. However, he did say there is info online as to how to get to these settings if you really want to find out. So the solution for you could be to have them change your machine setup so humidity is controlled by you, not the sensor OR you maybe could simply crank up your humidity higher until it turns on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2014, 03:31 PM)starrynight Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 11:32 AM)vicpete Wrote: remed s9 elite with humidifier set to 3 did not use any water and my throat is dry, does the humidifier start on its own or do i have to hold the button down for 3 seconds.

I've only just started using a CPAP (one week) and I've had 2 machines so far - the ResMed S9 Escape (which was replaced because it was incorrect, I need data collected) and now the ResMed S9 Elite w the humidifier... the same as you. I also had this same problem with both machines. I'd wake up with cold dry air blowing and I have been getting bad headaches and sinus problems because of it. Today I saw a very knowledgeable CPAP medical supplier/fitter guy (whatever you call it) and he fixed this for me! He explained that the humidifier does detect the humidity in the air and if it's sufficient for your setting then the humidifier will not turn on. (Turning on means that the heater plate heats up the water to warm-tepid which allows humidity to be released into your air hose.) This automatic adjustment to the humidity in the ambient air is the default setting on the machine. He went ahead and changed the setup in my CPAP machine so that the humidifier running is selected by me. Now it will constantly run at whatever setting I decide to set it at. This will give me more control. Now if it seems like too much or not enough humidity I can just dial the humidity up or down and it will change right away. Apparently there are other "clinical" settings for our machine that I could actually get to myself and change (like the pressure) but he said he's not allowed to show me how to get to them. However, he did say there is info online as to how to get to these settings if you really want to find out. So the solution for you could be to have them change your machine setup so humidity is controlled by you, not the sensor OR you maybe could simply crank up your humidity higher until it turns on.
Hi starrynight,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you got a data-capable machine and that you were able to get your humidifier straightened out.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2014, 03:31 PM)starrynight Wrote: Today I saw a very knowledgeable CPAP medical supplier/fitter guy (whatever you call it) and he fixed this for me! He explained that the humidifier does detect the humidity in the air and if it's sufficient for your setting then the humidifier will not turn on. (Turning on means that the heater plate heats up the water to warm-tepid which allows humidity to be released into your air hose.) This automatic adjustment to the humidity in the ambient air is the default setting on the machine. He went ahead and changed the setup in my CPAP machine so that the humidifier running is selected by me. Now it will constantly run at whatever setting I decide to set it at. This will give me more control. Now if it seems like too much or not enough humidity I can just dial the humidity up or down and it will change right away.

Hi starrynight,

When the humidifier is in manual mode and the heat setting is high enough, there will be "rainout" or condensation forming in the hose. If the rainout gets shot up our nose it will be very bothersome. Also, the rainout can cause gurgling noise which can be bothersome. Also, puddled water in the hose will likely encourage growth of mold. (Should disconnect hose daily and hang up so that water drains out and hose dries out completely each day.)

Rather than changing the humidifier to Manual mode, if we have a heated hose then we have the option to select automatic humidification mode. To increase the amount of humidity when humidifier is set to automatic mode, simply increase the hose temperature setting.

In Automatic mode the relative humidity target is 80% of however much water the air is able to hold before rainout starts, but the higher the air temperature is, the more water the air can hold and the more moisture the humidifier will put into the air before reaching 80% relative humidity.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a question of interest since I do not have a Climateline setup. If you are in manual mode, can't you adjust the hose temp as well as and separately from the humidity level?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.