Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Fisher and Paykel
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Taking an engineering approach to cpap

Sex: Male

resmed s8 (any version) teardown/disassembly/repair
Can anyone help with some teardown/disassembly instructions and photos for a resmed s8 (any model, but I have the autosetII)? I'm trying somewhat desperately to repair it, as it is out of warranty and in good condition apart form a recent accident.

Background: I overfilled the humidifier tank, got some water backsplash, presumably during EPR pressrure relief (3cm), and although the machine worked through the night it refused to start again the next evening, and gave me the dreaded "System Err 1019/Call service" message on the LCD.

Actions: I lightly warmed the cpap overnight on top of my desktop pc to get humdity out, but the machine still would not run, except late last night it would run for 3 seconds and then give a "System Err 1015" (different from 1019). I suspect that the flow meter is stuck and the motor/fan/pump control thinks the tube is blocked, hence shuts off. I gleaned this info about error 1015/1019 via google.

Moreover, I acquired a Torx T10 screwdriver and attempted to disassemble the machine with the intent of drying the innards and see if I could locate a stuck flow meter/transducer. Screws did not come all the way out, but they may nevertheless be sufficiently unfastened. However, I am not able to pry the two halves of the cpap clamshell exterior apart. Especially around the air exit tube, the clamshell seems to be stuck very solidly. Other places I can make a small crack but I cannot get the halves apart. I tried to find the location of locking/snap tabs with a thin and dull letter opener (knife). No luck so far.

References: I looked at a very nice s9 teardown post/photos, but the s9 is sufficiently different from the s8 that I was not able to deduce how to crack open the s8.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 12:29 PM by tungpust.)
04-02-2014 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: resmed s8 (any version) teardown/disassembly/repair
Hi tungpust,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you can manage it, you would be better served by a new machine, the technology has changed over the years. They have some great deals on either gently-used or open-box machines at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list here at the top of each page on this board.
Hang in there and someone will be along to help; best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
04-02-2014 01:37 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Might have seen a youtube video on the S8.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-02-2014 04:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tungpust Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S8 Autoset II

I am making some progress with the teardown, but have not been able to get rid of "System Err 1019" yet, so the machine will still not run. I have posted more detail on another blog that is a competitor of this one, not sure if I can post a link to that?
04-03-2014 12:58 PM
tungpust Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S8 Autoset II

A fellow member helpfully pointed out that the *real* SERVICE MANUAL is available to members by going to the following link and following the instructions there.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-LINKS-to-Members-Only-FILES

Right now I am looking for the S8 interface/breakout board pinout and the ResMed Service Software. Looks like I need those to calibrate the flow sensor, which can be had for $27 on Amazon as of 2 days ago (search for AWM 730B5).

I would like to to solder a USB cable directly onto the interface/breakout board.
04-05-2014 12:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair clintga 23 6,299 11-22-2016 02:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea ResMed S8 repair for no power SuperSleeper 4 237 11-17-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: 10bigal10
  Brand new Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset - Warreny Repair DerfNL 7 629 10-08-2016 07:36 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  Switch repair on Resmed S8 Escape II Images MRIBOB 5 4,510 06-20-2016 05:32 AM
Last Post: sweet dreams
Idea Ever try to purchase repair parts? Well that may have changed stihlydan 10 2,932 02-16-2016 04:50 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Android version of Nitelog for Z1 Auto plus new Firmware bill-e 0 480 12-23-2015 07:55 AM
Last Post: bill-e
  [CPAP] Where could I send defectives boards cpap to repair? Jose Filho 10 1,317 12-08-2015 05:23 PM
Last Post: Jose Filho