Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ruining nasal pillows by disassembling...
ruining nasal pillows by disassembling...
Recently I learned on the forum that my p30i nasal pillows could be disassembled for cleaning, so I started doing so a couple of weeks ago. I have 2 of these which I use alternately, so the one I washed this morning will finish drying out tomorrow night.

Last night I put on the mask and turned on the machine - only to discover that instead of a hardly audible flow of air from the front of the nasal piece (I have the "mesh" type), I got a loud hiss. I took the thing apart again and put it back together - no improvement. Fortunately I had the other one that I could use.

So I don't know how I did it, but I seem to have cleaned and disassembled the thing too much, killing it. Maybe I stretched it too much when taking it apart. In any case, I think I'll go back to washing it without taking it apart. 

(Sharing this to possibly prevent someone else from damaging their equipment.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ruining nasal pillows by disassembling...
I don't use the P30i, but if it is like the P10, the cushion has two layers. These are not intended to be disassembled, and simply washing in soapy water is sufficient to clean both layers. I actually just put some Dawn in my hands and rub the cushion distributing the soap, rinsing under a flowing tap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 09:08 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I don't use the P30i, but if it is like the P10, the cushion has two layers. These are not intended to be disassembled, and simply washing in soapy water is sufficient to clean both layers.  I actually just put some Dawn in my hands and rub the cushion distributing the soap, rinsing under a flowing tap.

I think you must be right. I found the disassembly instructions on a forum. Resmed don't mention it. Good that I only managed to wreck one of them....
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure what you mean by disassembling the P30i pillow. If you mean removing and separating the plastic part containing the diffuser from the soft rubber/silicon (?) pillow itself (that inserts into the nostril) this is a rather routine procedure that I have followed daily for seven months without a problem. However if you are referring to separating the diffuser pad from the hard plastic holder this can be problematic - I have done this once but have no intention to try it again as it is not easy and does not seem to be necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 10:22 AM)Grandpapa-G Wrote: I am not sure what you mean by disassembling the P30i pillow. If you mean removing and separating the plastic part containing the diffuser from the soft rubber/silicon (?) pillow itself (that inserts into the nostril) this is a rather routine procedure that I have followed daily for seven months without a problem. However if you are referring to separating the diffuser pad from the hard plastic holder this can be problematic - I have done this once but have no intention to try it again as it is not easy and does not seem to be necessary.

I'm talking about removing the diffuser from the soft silicon part 
Resmed don't mention the procedure when they describe how to clean the pillow
If it works for you I guess I'm just unlucky....
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to the user guide https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf The cushion can be removed from the frame, and apparently even the quietair vent is removable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 11:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Here is a link to the user guide https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf  The cushion can be removed from the frame, and apparently even the quietair vent is removable.

Thanks Sleeprider. So it seems I must have done something wrong to affect the seal. Interesting that they don't actually tell you to remove the vent - they say "the QuietAir vent can be removed to allow inspection of the vent holes '. I think from now on I'll just soak and brush.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,061 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 479 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 440 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 967 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 529 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 940 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 574 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.