Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REMstar 100M pressure question
REMstar 100M pressure question
is there a way I can make the pressure the same on exhale as it is on inhale ??? when i breathe out at night it is louder on exhale and keeps me awake... I only use this machine when I travel and i am not used to it...As i seen in the presure adjust thread it mentions nothing about that ????

I now know this is a bipap machine and when i am home i use a cpap machine... is this the difference why i am hearing the sound ???

I will also be looking into a new smaller machine for when i travel.. My machine at home has a humidifier but when traveling it is no big deal as I use a full face mask ...

any help would be great even if pressure cant be changed .......at least I will know

Thanks and sorry if this was posted by someone before
I am a newbie

Rick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REMstar 100M pressure question
Hi fuzzman716,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, what you want is for the pressure to be less when you exhale to reduce the noise.

Here's what's happening. The CPAP is trying to keep a fixed pressure in your airway. Because of the mask vents, it must keep a constant airflow to keep the pressure up when you are not breathing. When you inhale, you are taking some of that airflow into your lungs, so less goes out the vents. When you exhale, you are adding extra airflow into the mask, so more air goes out the vents.

If you are hearing extra noise on exhale, the noise is coming from the mask vents. If you are hearing extra noise on inhale, the noise is coming from either the hose or the humidifier, since the CPAP must increase the airflow on inhale to maintain the pressure.

I don't know anything about the REMstar 100m, but on the PRS1 REMstar machines I have, the C-Flex, C-Flex+, or A-Flex setting controls the pressure reduction on exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2013, 10:49 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Actually, what you want is for the pressure to be less when you exhale to reduce the noise.

Here's what's happening. The CPAP is trying to keep a fixed pressure in your airway. Because of the mask vents, it must keep a constant airflow to keep the pressure up when you are not breathing. When you inhale, you are taking some of that airflow into your lungs, so less goes out the vents. When you exhale, you are adding extra airflow into the mask, so more air goes out the vents.

If you are hearing extra noise on exhale, the noise is coming from the mask vents. If you are hearing extra noise on inhale, the noise is coming from either the hose or the humidifier, since the CPAP must increase the airflow on inhale to maintain the pressure.

I don't know anything about the REMstar 100m, but on the PRS1 REMstar machines I have, the C-Flex, C-Flex+, or A-Flex setting controls the pressure reduction on exhale.

I think I will be calling my Dr to get a new script for a new machine. My sleep provider says it has been 5 years since I got a new machine. I bought this machine as a backup and only use it when traveling. Trouble is i have been on the road for 2 weeks and i havent slept much with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,281 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.