Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the whole thing
RE: New to the whole thing

Has anyone else here ever experienced anything like these episodes? Were they attributed to anything specific such as the adrenaline shot you get from arousing to breathe? Or was an underlying anxiety issue just being compounded by the apnea? Any other thoughts or advice you can share with me about all of this?
[/quote]

I do hope that your doctor is treating your hypertension. Not to treat it leaves you with the possiblity of a stroke or heart attack.
Your symptoms do sound like sleep apnea. When you stop breathing your heart sends out signals for your adrenal glands to pump out cortisol and so you get a rapid heart beat and wake up with a flight of fight reaction to the cortisol which is experienced as anxiety, flushing etc.
You really won't know until your doctor releases the information what your pressure on the machine needs to be. You might need a much higher pressure to keep your airway open enough for oxygen to get through. Hang in there . Help is on the way. It is the waiting that is so frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am on 50mg of Atenolol per day. He has not changed that yet. I have also started Zoloft which he thinks may help with the bp when the anxiety starts to resolve (in theory). My pressures have stabilised a little bit. Today's reading was 128/72 which is the best it's been in a few weeks. I'm off of alcohol and watching what I eat, plus no added salt. Perhaps the combination of cpap therapy, anxiety meds, healthy diet, weight loss, etc will work to keep the bp in check.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2014, 04:42 PM)Mountain Man Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am on 50mg of Atenolol per day. He has not changed that yet. I have also started Zoloft which he thinks may help with the bp when the anxiety starts to resolve (in theory). My pressures have stabilised a little bit. Today's reading was 128/72 which is the best it's been in a few weeks. I'm off of alcohol and watching what I eat, plus no added salt. Perhaps the combination of cpap therapy, anxiety meds, healthy diet, weight loss, etc will work to keep the bp in check.

What mountain do you live on? They used to call me mountain lady when I lived up on a mountain ridge 3500 feet. I now live in the lowlands of Vermont. My mountain was in West Virginia and I miss it a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello...
I was put on antidepressants for anxiety attacks after my second son was born. The antidepressants over time made me crave sugar so bad that I was packing on the weightSad. I was in a no-win situation. Over time I finally decided to go off and see how I did with the attacks. I was miserable with the weight gain! I have done ok, however I had a sleep study fairly recently Because I was feeling so exhausted that my vision was blurry and I always felt on edge with my anxiety. It came back as mild, however that was questionable as I had to have an at home study. The dr. Couldn't determine how long I slept during the period that I stopped breathing. So, it could be worse than mild. I started with the CPAP machine a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to be this figured out. When you are sleep deprived your serotonin levels are low and therefore have increased anxiety. I started with the nasal pillows and am now using the over the nose mask. I've been waking up exhausted still and blurred vision and on edge with anxiety. This actually got worse with the start of the machine. Apparently, I'm not sleeping as well as I should be. I'm guessing I need to find the correct mask for me. I'm also waking up to myself breathing out of my mouth. Maybe that is waking me up? Needless to say, keep trying it. Try different masks. Your lack of sleep is definitely triggering your anxiety. Stay positive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2014, 11:32 PM)G8tr33 Wrote: Hello...
I was put on antidepressants for anxiety attacks after my second son was born. The antidepressants over time made me crave sugar so bad that I was packing on the weightSad. I was in a no-win situation. Over time I finally decided to go off and see how I did with the attacks. I was miserable with the weight gain! I have done ok, however I had a sleep study fairly recently Because I was feeling so exhausted that my vision was blurry and I always felt on edge with my anxiety. It came back as mild, however that was questionable as I had to have an at home study. The dr. Couldn't determine how long I slept during the period that I stopped breathing. So, it could be worse than mild. I started with the CPAP machine a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to be this figured out. When you are sleep deprived your serotonin levels are low and therefore have increased anxiety. I started with the nasal pillows and am now using the over the nose mask. I've been waking up exhausted still and blurred vision and on edge with anxiety. This actually got worse with the start of the machine. Apparently, I'm not sleeping as well as I should be. I'm guessing I need to find the correct mask for me. I'm also waking up to myself breathing out of my mouth. Maybe that is waking me up? Needless to say, keep trying it. Try different masks. Your lack of sleep is definitely triggering your anxiety. Stay positive.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about your struggles. I had that weight gain problem with Paxil. You could try a different medication for the anxiety. From what I understand some antidepressants can make it worse. It's just a matter of finding the right one for you. I was on Celexa for several years and got off of it about a year ago. I told the doc to start me on whatever he felt would take the least amount of time to "get in my system" and get me back on my feet, so I'm now on Zoloft.

The last few nights I've woke up several times a night also. Have not noticed opening/breathing through my mouth when I awaken although it has been very dry and tingly at times. Perhaps this means I am, at least occasionally. I checked my pulse a couple of times after waking and it was not elevated as near as I could tell. When I finally woke up this morning my ears were ringing as though I had been at a 3 day rock concert. Don't know wth that was all about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2014, 04:47 PM)Lukie Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 04:42 PM)Mountain Man Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am on 50mg of Atenolol per day. He has not changed that yet. I have also started Zoloft which he thinks may help with the bp when the anxiety starts to resolve (in theory). My pressures have stabilised a little bit. Today's reading was 128/72 which is the best it's been in a few weeks. I'm off of alcohol and watching what I eat, plus no added salt. Perhaps the combination of cpap therapy, anxiety meds, healthy diet, weight loss, etc will work to keep the bp in check.

What mountain do you live on? They used to call me mountain lady when I lived up on a mountain ridge 3500 feet. I now live in the lowlands of Vermont. My mountain was in West Virginia and I miss it a lot.

It's just a nickname one of my friends calls me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 323 11 hours ago
Last Post: pamm777
  [CPAP] Struggling with the whole thing Billyaustin 1 405 07-23-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Does this thing work? enjoysleep59 7 2,125 04-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 636 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Is Combination Therapy PAP and Implantable Stimulation at same time a thing? kpmccue 0 446 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kpmccue
  DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee) elwoodpdowd 9 1,855 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Last Post: DanGagner
  I can't tell when there is pressure - good thing razormarsh 4 1,062 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.