Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sanitizing machines for CPAP machines
RE: sanitizing machines for CPAP machines
I don't know what orange thing was/is growing in your humidifier there hegel, but it doesn't sound good. However, unless nothing else had changed, it may be difficult to attribute SoClean with keeping the orange stuff from growing. I just can't imagine what orange stuff it is that's growing, but I'd certainly consider this a problem.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(05-13-2020, 07:04 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't know what orange thing was/is growing in your humidifier there hegel, but it doesn't sound good. However, unless nothing else had changed, it may be difficult to attribute SoClean with keeping the orange stuff from growing. I just can't imagine what orange stuff it is that's growing, but I'd certainly consider this a problem.

It was most likely orange mold, which grows in damp moist places. Routine cleaning with soap and water will get rid of and prevent orange mold from growing.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Now I know. For some reason, planet Dave only has seen greenish mold. I should say I've not attributed orange tinted things as mold, now that I've viewed a few images such as below.

Sorry mold, I wasn't trying to discriminate. I just haven't taken up mold searching as a hobby. Thanks for the info, MitchS.

[Image: ICI3xGP.png?1]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
"However, unless nothing else had changed, it may be difficult to attribute SoClean with keeping the orange stuff from growing."

Well, I always had a spanking clean humdifier tank when I was using th Soclean daily for all those years. I would empty and dry my tank daily. then the Soclean broke. And then the orange gunk appeared at one or two hard to reach corners of the tank. Of course I washed it with soap after that. Now I use the Respify and all traces of gunk are gone.
All I get in my reservoir is some mineral build-up from time to time, and it's minimal at that. Never had any slime, mold, gunk, crap, or anything else disgusting to deal with.

Each & every morning, the reservoir gets it's remaining tap water dumped out, and then I use a tissue to wipe it dry. It's then allowed to sit open for a few hours to insure a good air drying. 

It'll be two years old in Sept. and it still looks like new!  Cool
FWIW when I could use my ASV, at times I did not dump the water left over after use. I just topped it off sometimes. I never had mold in any color. And I only needed to use soap and water.
I top off during the week and then wash the reservoir with soap and water sometime during the weekend. I do use distilled water , though. Never had a problem.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Yes, I did similar MitchS, but with tap water in 2019. I used Wally distilled beforehand.
(05-13-2020, 08:44 AM)MitchS Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 07:04 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't know what orange thing was/is growing in your humidifier there hegel, but it doesn't sound good. However, unless nothing else had changed, it may be difficult to attribute SoClean with keeping the orange stuff from growing. I just can't imagine what orange stuff it is that's growing, but I'd certainly consider this a problem.

It was most likely orange mold, which grows in damp moist places. Routine cleaning with soap and water will get rid of and prevent orange mold from growing.

This sounds like a bacterium that is frequently found in purified water systems. I'm sure ozone will kill it but so will most sanitizers. It's not a pathogen. It's interesting that some see it in their humidifiers but most do not. I suspect it depends on the source water. I seldom clean my reservoir. I don't even drain it daily but just top it off but seldom see any evidence of microbial growth.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I agree with Melman. The most common infection we see in humidifier chambers is a pink bacteria that has no patalogical implications for humans, but is a pretty ugly "slime". It is an airborne bacteria that coloonizes any wet surfaces including showers, toilets, swimming pools and your humidifier. It is pretty easy to clean out using soap and water with physical scrubbing. it can be killed with disinfectants, but it does develop a slime layer that makes it resistant to exposure to the disinfectant.

I have had to deal with this, and it is preventable by daily water exchange and drying. I have had it in pools and showers as well. It can grow in distilled water when water is not routinely exchanges, as well as humidifiers using tap water. It is manageable and won't hurt you, but it's embarrassing and we don't want it. Dump water daily and allow the container to dry, and no problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,179 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 753 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.