Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

scrap your c-pap?
RE: scrap your c-pap?
(01-22-2013, 09:12 AM)zimlich Wrote: Ugly, I'm almost sure a dental device would not work for central or mixed apnea, now that you mention it. There's a reason they call them clear airway apneas. The stimulus to breathe is not there for that breath, so even if the airway is open. Good point.

Thanks for the feedback. I hear about such things now and then and of course the hype - they rand and rave on how great it is. I think, "if only" but I don't see how it would work for me. I appreciate the response. Some things really are too good to be true.
Post Reply Post Reply
The idea behind them is good but not sure they've gotten the technique down yet. By pulling the jaw forward, it lifts the tongue and other stuff forward as well. This in theory would help to keep the airway open.

My concern would be long term jaw and teeth issues.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with OSA about 15 years ago in my early 30's. I am a thin, tall man and my airway is apparently very small. I tried cpap for a year and managed to get used to it but decided to try a dental appliance as an alternative to being a hosehead for the next 50+ years.

I found a dentist/doctor who specializes in these and he fit me for a custom device that advances the lower jaw. My insurance covered it completely.

It definitely worked for many years and I've gone through 4 devices because they wear out and crack after a while. It was a huge lifestyle improvement over cpap. I won't say it was perfect - I definitely still snored on occasion and held my breath from time to time but I felt like I was sleeping pretty well and my wife will testify that my apnea was mostly controlled.

As I've grown older (now in my late 40s') I've found that I am having more and more apneas (obstructive and central) and my sleep quality is degrading so I've switched back to APAP. The technology sure has changed quite a bit!

(01-21-2013, 07:40 AM)pegster0323 Wrote: Hi has anyone heard of the dentist and the mouthpiece you can wear instead of the c-pap?I am a mouthbreather and where a full face mask for 3 yrs and just can not get use to it losing lots of sleep,just wondering if anyone has had any advice on this mouthpiece??

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I did some research in this area before receiving my cpap. Then I got my cpap and I am satisfied with that. Anyway, you can locate a dentist specializing in dental sleep medicine by visiting the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine. I am in no way affiliated with them, nor do I in any way vouch for their integrity...

BTW, moderator--I looked at the posting rules and don't think this posting breaks any, but if I am mistaken, please take it down.
Post Reply Post Reply
My pulmonologist indicated that the oral devices have a much lower success rate than CPAP therapy and are considered "successful" if they reduce the AHI by half. Depending on the severity of your OSA, that could get you into the <5 range. I'd be worried about it messing up my bite alignment, having spent way more than I'd like on crowns and repairs after I cracked some teeth a few years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
A local dentist tried to sell one of those dental devices to my wife to help with her sleep apnea.

In my case, insurance did not cover the device and it cost in the neighborhood of $2,500.00. In addition, the dentist charged for the consult. Oh-jeez

She decided on other options.

If you feel that XPAP therapy is not for you, maybe a dental appliance will work for you. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"If something looks like it goes against the laws of physics, it is most likely a swindle."

:Me
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if your apnea is caused by your jaw shifting back in your sleep, if you can move it forward with a dental device, if you can stand sleeping with the device, if it doesn't hurt the joints or muscles involved, etc., it's a miracle cure.

For many people, these things aren't true.

It's like taking antibiotics when you're sick. It may be a miracle cure. If you have a virus, it does no good.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought one of those Pur-Sleep devices for fifty bucks and used that for many years and it seemed to work just fine. I no longer snored and my wife said she didn't notice any apnea.

I still, however, felt sleepy during the day, so who knows how well it was working. It got to the point where I went in for a new sleep study then decided to go full CPAP.

Now I'm sleeping better than I ever have and feel alert and focused through most days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2013, 10:09 AM)Shastzi Wrote: "If something looks like it goes against the laws of physics, it is most likely a swindle."

What about soap bubbles and helium balloons? They may not actually go against the laws of physics but they look that way.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.