Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

scrap your c-pap?
RE: scrap your c-pap?
(01-21-2013, 07:40 AM)pegster0323 Wrote: Hi has anyone heard of the dentist and the mouthpiece you can wear instead of the c-pap?

You better be careful with mouth pieces and mouth guards etc !!! SERIOUSLY !!

My wife wore a mouth piece for (1) year to fend off the effects of TMJ!

Her jaw ended up out of alignment and needed corrective jaw surgery (break the jaw) to realign it !!

She had her jaw wired shut for almost (2) months and had to "eat" by drinking liquids out of straw !!

Still want that mouth piece ?? Know what the risk are!

Post Reply Post Reply
Soap bubbles and helium balloons don't defy the laws of nature.
It's all chemistry and physics. (molecular surface tension & stuff)

wiki/Soap_bubble (you know the web site) Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2013, 10:34 AM)Labrat0116 Wrote: My wife wore a mouth piece for (1) year to fend off the effects of TMJ!

I've done that for almost 20 years with no negative issues. Lots of positives, though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to chime in.
I use both CPAP and a mouth piece.

The mouth piece is not a cure-all miracle device, but it is a device that, if you are lucky, will give you freedom when you want freedom (travel, outdoors, naps).

1. The mouth device provides cpap-freedom with a relatively good sleep pattern for days on end without suffering the effects of severe OSA.
2. The mouth device , when used with CPAP, cuts the average CPAP pressure to less than <60% of the regular CPAP alone. AI events are significantly reduced.
3. The mouth device alone cost 2,000 (Cdn) + there are multiple office visits for compliance and follow up.
4. The process was done and is supervised by a phd in the field and the first thing the good doctor tells you is it is not a miracle cure.
5. A sleep study at around 6-8 month mark is a must for it will allow you to know how effective the device is or isn't.

Is it expensive? If it works for you, you are going to think it is a very , very cheap price to pay for freedom. If it does not work, it is expensive, sure, but you can also use it to make your jaw look like Don Vito in The Godfather
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a product called SnorBan [link removed] that sounds like what you're looking for. I used it for a number of years before switching to a ResMed S9. It's better than nothing, but not much better. My wife will attest to that. Laugh-a-lot

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
After years of trying different masks, I to wanted to go to a mouth device. I highly recommend against it. You have to learn to swallow without that crazy device in your mouth. Some can do it, most cannot. You will almost feel like you are getting weatherboarded in your own saliva. Extreme slobbering all over your pillow, face etc.

In my opinion, you must stay with a mask and get a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. Then the last problem I had to deal with was the ever present air leakage into the face and eyes. 100% compliance came for me when I added eye goggles, like the Tranquil Eye product.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.