Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma
screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma
Don't know if you folks can help with this or not.

I'm pretty new to this, just a couple weeks but don't really know what to expect?

I have lots of trouble falling asleep and also staying asleep. I've manage 1 night of 6 hours, two of 4 hours, the rest 2 hours or nothing. 

After about 30 to 40 minutes of staring at the ceiling I get frustrated trying to go to sleep, take the darn thing off and go to sleep without it. No problem.

so what should I expect? Is this "normal"? I really can't take trying to sleep much longer than 30 minutes, my mind takes over and its no use.

do some just never get it? I would really like to make this work as much for my wife as for me. But I'm more tired now that I've ever been.

Suggestions? Condemnations? Whatever?

Keith
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma
Some people take to CPAP therapy like a duck to water.  Others, like me, have to convince my body to accept its new sleeping ensemble.  It took me almost a year before my body readily accepted the therapy.   Try wearing in the evening while watching TV or Reading so it becomes a more natural feeling.   Try avoiding any food, snack or beverages other than water for a long before bed as possible.  As an initial aid, you might try using something like 25 mg of Benadryl or Melatonin right before bed.   If you are experiencing any aches or pains, one (325 mg) aspirin tablet seems to help.  Also, how old is your mattress?   Being uncomfortable, especially when you starting out, doesn't help matters at all.  

Here is to wishing you better sleep.
Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for taking the time. I don't know if I'm up for a whole year of this. How long, at night, do you have to do this before you see any benefit? I have a friend that has
been 7 years and he wears the thing but he only does it for his wife. He says he doesn't sleep better and doesn't feel any more rested in the morning? (that seems nuts)
I do have two bionic knees that give me fits from time to time and a sore back. Other that that no problem. I'm doing this because my heart doctor says it would be good for me and my wife believes her. 

Thanks again, you folks have been great to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keith your settings kind of suck. It would help to see the data from the 6-hour night but I’m going to assume you have this machine because of obstructive sleep apnea, so here is what you need to do. Change the minimum pressure to 8.0. That’s it for now. Your minimum pressure won’t work for crap. Start higher.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bet this was another Dr. Dolittle setup with assistant IKnow Nuthin. 4 is not a very helpful pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You didn't state your age. Age matters! I'm 65. As you grow older, things change, usually for the worse. 

I take OTC sleep aids. I get mine @ Costco. I've tried many different brands over the years. I've been taking the Costco stuff now for about a year, and they work very well for me. 

My SA doesn't keep me awake or from falling asleep. I took to my CPAP machine so very easily once I started, I was shocked. My wife was as well. She was sure I'd give up on it after about a week. No issues of any kind, other than the fact, that I'm still not feeling any better from using it. 

It sounds as if you just might have to give yourself some more time to acclimate to the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Myself and others have had to do some get used to the machine time while listening to radio broadcasts, reading a book, etc. while wearing the mask and under pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
What settings?

how long at one time is enough for the therapy to be effective? Do people wear these things every night?
Post Reply Post Reply
To be effective, PAP therapy is every night. A time for adjusting to PAP therapy is needed for most also. And settings need optimized for your personal best results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleepless Night Motomom 3 1,226 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Motomom
Sad Sleepless in Seattle GuppyDRV 39 6,598 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  Did you watch? Sleepless in America DonC 12 3,999 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Last Post: jolycu
  Sleepless in America TyroneShoes 8 3,393 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  [News] “Sleepless in America” - National Geographic Special ApneaNews 1 3,448 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Sleepless Partner Exhausted 9 5,929 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.