Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

setting up Aircurve auto
RE: setting up Aircurve auto
DAY 2 , BETTER THAN DAY 1
Wow, amazing , thank God. 

OPALROSE,since you are thinking about a bilevel, here are the reasons that I suspected that I might need one. I had been looking for a used one for I long time because the price of a new one was too much for me. I don't think my doctor would prescribe a bilevel with the daily results that I was getting. When I was able to buy a used one with low hours and low price I had to go for it.

[Image: A1iLrtE.png]
  • Tidal volume was on the low side and was gradually getting lower over the years.
  • My respiratory rate was very inconsistent. If you notice on my Dreamstation chart at the beginning and end of each night my rate was low er because I was awake. During sleep it would raise and become erratic. I felt something was going on.
  • 2 years ago I was able to use a Resmed which records flow limitations completely different than the Dreamstation. You can see in the graph how many I had.
  • My inspiration to expiration ratio was reversed to what it should be.
  • Lately my RDI has been creeping up but still acceptable to the industry stannard of 5.
  • At times I would feel tired through the day.
    Thanks all for your help, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Excited for you. I hope this helps you feel more rested too.

Note: I believe that inspiration to expiration ratio being reversed is a Respironics issue.
I see the same thing on my System One.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The inverse I:E ratio is actually an OSCAR problem inherited from Sleepyhead. Resmed actually notes in the data the inspiration and expiration times and calculates the I:E ratio in Resscan. In order to produce similar data for Philips, MW kludged inspiration and expiration times using zero flow as the inspiration trigger. That was an error. A significant component of the expiratory cycle may consist of zero or near-zero flow, so inspiration should not be indicated until a positive flow is indicated, and I think the OSCAR team is moving toward a at least two positive flow number showing increasing flow rate as the crossover. The problem is being fixed, but for now I:E should just be disregarded on Philips machines.

That aside, there are many reasons many of us on the forum advocate the Resmed machines for their extremely good bilevel algorithm that follows respiration naturally and comfortably. While Philips "Flex" pressure relief tends to get in the way of certain individuals respiratory rhythm, the pressure support of Resmed and its EasyBreath™ flow shaping is just better for most, and this is true across the entire spectrum of CPAP and bilevel. As Car54 has found, bilevel (Aircurve) just does everything better than CPAP, and that's all you need to know. If the cost of the machines were equal, there would not be any reason to prescribe the CPAP instead, but since insurance must mitigate prices, there are barriers of "medical necessity" used to prevent most people from getting one.

Car54, next time you have an appointment with your doctor, you should make a point of documenting your use of the Aircurve and what it has meant to you in terms of how you feel and even efficacy. In my experience, the biggest problem is getting the first bilevel, and once you have demonstrated the need, the prescription will usually follow. If you do have COPD as part of your medical profile, that will almost guarentee a bilevel script in the future, especially given your success.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I see my doctor next week and will show him the graphs. The timing worked out great.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds perfect. Your objective should be to inform him of your intention to continue using the Aircurve 10 and documenting its use over the next year with the intention of demonstrating the need for this level of machine for the next replacement cycle. His assistance in supporting that effort will be important to future insurance or Medicare replacements. With bilevel it basically comes down to what your doctor says is necessary is what gets covered, so convincing him first is important.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Car54, I made a decision to go from APAP to BiPAP/BiLevel purely for comfort reasons. It's a decision I don't regret. I probably didn't need BiPAP for my therapy but why not try it out? I saw it as going from economy to business class. The improvement in my sleep was instantly obvious. It took a short time to change my APAP settings but with help from the amazing people on this forum I am sleeping well.

A couple of settings you might look at experimenting with are the Ti min/max.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holden4th,
 I have used the vauto for 5 nights and I have had only 1 hypopnea, my tidal volume has gone up 100 points and my respiratory graph is beautiful compared to what it used to look like. Nothing but positives. I do feel that I am sleeping better. I do have peace of mind that this is the way to go. Everytime I looked at my erratic respiratory rate graph I just shook my head. 

I have consciously not read many posts about vautos because they did not pertain to me and the ones I did read seemed rather involved. I know that the vauto has many more adjustments and for now I will take make any changes at a slow deliberate pace so I do not get lost. I do not know what the TI min/max does but I am not against experimenting. I have much researching and learning to do on this subject.

I want to thank all the knowledgeable people on this site that take their own time to help many people world wide. God bless all of you.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really happy to hear the Vauto was right on from the beginning. Always fun to hit a home-run on the first swing. I have not seen anything that would cause me to recommend any changes to Ti time or sensitivity. If you want to trial other settings, then I would stick with small increases to the PS setting in the range of 3.4 to 4.0. Take it slow and decide if it is better or worse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 05:47 AM)car54 Wrote: Holden4th,
 I have used the vauto for 5 nights and I have had only 1 hypopnea, my tidal volume has gone up 100 points and my respiratory graph is beautiful compared to what it used to look like. Nothing but positives. I do feel that I am sleeping better. I do have peace of mind that this is the way to go. Everytime I looked at my erratic respiratory rate graph I just shook my head. 

I have consciously not read many posts about vautos because they did not pertain to me and the ones I did read seemed rather involved. I know that the vauto has many more adjustments and for now I will take make any changes at a slow deliberate pace so I do not get lost. I do not know what the TI min/max does but I am not against experimenting. I have much researching and learning to do on this subject.

I want to thank all the knowledgeable people on this site that take their own time to help many people world wide. God bless all of you.

car54
 Hello Car54 - as it's working for you congratulations! Enjoy your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 312 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 159 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 570 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,515 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.