Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

short article about truckers and sleep apnea
short article about truckers and sleep apnea
Somehow I came across this online and thought it might interest someone (or maybe it's old news?). ....and no I'm not a trucker LOL

http://www.truckersnews.com/possible-sle...5dbd94447c

SuperSleeper Wrote:ADMIN EDIT: Adding the full text of the article because sometimes links "go bad":

Possible sleep apnea rule appears to be in the works

A data collection effort by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) intended to gauge how many truck operators have obstructive sleep apnea and what impact a sleep apnea rule could have on the industry has taken a step forward in the federal rulemaking process and could be published by year’s end.

The federal regulatory dashboard says the White House’s Office of Management and Budget received the so-deemed “pre-rule” from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Tuesday, Dec. 15.

A separate report from the DOT indicates the rule could be published by the end of the month.

The data request, being conducted in a joint effort by the FMCSA and the Federal Railroad Administration, is intended to not only gauge the prevalence of moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea among truck operators, but also to get feedback from the industry about how a sleep apnea rule could affect truckers and the industry at large.

Per the agency’s synopsis of the pre-rule:

“FMCSA… also request[s] information about the potential economic impact and safety benefits associated with regulatory actions that would result in transportation workers in these positions, who exhibit multiple risk factors for OSA, undergoing evaluation by a healthcare professional with expertise in sleep disorders, and subsequent treatment.”

The agency began work on the pre-rule, also designated as an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, at the beginning of October.

Fair Use, from:
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: short article about truckers and sleep apnea
The truckers will hate it, but everyone should have a study. It saves lives. Trouble is the mills that will spring up to support this... the mandate will not be done with common sense, on that, I would bet my bottom dollar.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
We've had a lot of MVC fatalities in the past year around here caused by transport trucks. I sometimes wonder if sleep apnea is partly to blame.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 12:11 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Somehow I came across this online and thought it might interest someone (or maybe it's old news?). ....and no I'm not a trucker LOL

There are going to be a lot of really P*ssed off truckers and trucker's wives who write "thank you" letters to the DOT in a few months. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem may be more than just sleep apnea. Google "safety rules of trucking industry " for more information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 01:58 AM)DariaVader Wrote: The truckers will hate it, but everyone should have a study. It saves lives. Trouble is the mills that will spring up to support this... the mandate will not be done with common sense, on that, I would bet my bottom dollar.

I agree, but don't think "everyone" is a necessity. I believe the DOT/insurance rules now are that having a size 17 neck necessitates having a sleep study. I think that is very reasonable.

I think burdening the health system with unnecessary sleep studies for people not at risk is not a wise use of resources.

Just my $.02.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 109 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 196 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 280 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 156 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 323 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 228 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 404 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.