Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

should I try a full face mask?
should I try a full face mask?
Hi all,

I've been using a CPAP for about 2 months with P10 nasal pillows, and everything is going fairly well - I adjusted to the pillows a lot easier than I expected. I have two complaints, however:

1) I'm getting some irritation on my nose from the pillows despite my best efforts to prevent it (lotion, cleaning the pillows daily, washing my face before bed, etc). Giving my nose a break for a couple days would be nice.
2) I need a humidifier. I tried without and it was unpleasant (lots of congestion). This makes battery power a lot more complicated, which is a bit of a problem since I don't have the most reliable power, and I'd like to be able to go camping occasionally. I figure with a full face mask, even without a humidifier I could still breath through my mouth (which I end up doing anyway unless I wear a chinstrap).

Does that sound reasonable? I don't know if I'd switch to a FFM all the time - does anyone else use one part time?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: should I try a full face mask?
Yes, you should try a FFM. Once you do, you'll never go back to the P10!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why I love this board. I had a HORRIBLE experience with a FFM. I actually look forward to putting on my Nuance pillows at night.
"Hodor," said Hodor.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 versus the FFM is the subject of the 100 years war on the forum.
This is the Battle of Agincourt; and today is St Crispin's Day.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 01:22 PM)justMongo Wrote: The P10 versus the FFM is the subject of the 100 years war on the forum.
This is the Battle of Agincourt; and today is St Crispin's Day.

Let me try a more specific question then Smile.

Is it easier to use a FFM than a P10 without a humidifier?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 02:02 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: Let me try a more specific question then Smile.

Is it easier to use a FFM than a P10 without a humidifier?

I suggest you pick your mask based on comfort and efficacy of therapy in your "normal" environment. Which I assume permits you to use your humidifier.

Then, if you live in an area of unreliable power, cobble together a battery backup system that can get you through most power outages with your humidifier in operation. Depending on how long your power is usually out, that may mean a big AGM battery (or multiple), the converter for your machine and a charger/tender. There are always good threads on battery operation.

For camping, scale back to light, small and compact. So, you leave the humidifier home, take enough battery power to last for the trip (or, time away from recharge ability.) Being without the humidifier is likely to be a bit uncomfortable with any mask type; but, it can be endured for a few days.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had more comfort using my nasal pillows without lotion (after the first few days with).
Also after I scaled down from the large to the medium.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both P10 and F10. I think you would need a humidifier for both. And if you plan to mouth breathe with f10, you would need the humidity. Otherwise you would wake up with painful dry mouth.

My advice is that if the P10 is working for you, stick with it. Why complicate your life more.

Use the P10. And remember, resistance is futile. Smile
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
In case you haven't seen them, here's the ResMed Battery Guide and here are the instructions for the ResMed DC Converter for the A10 (and S9).

At 12 cm, your A10 will draw about 1 amp without humidification and heated hose and about 4 amps with them set on Auto. There are some other combinations listed. ResMed calculates the recommended battery AH rating by amps x 8 hours x 150%. IOW, they use about 2/3 of the battery charge.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I really like the Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask (won by a hair for me over the P10), I decided I wanted to have a FFM on hand for the inevitable cold or bad allergy day. Since I like the softness of the gel pillow -- I went with a ComfortGel Blue FFM and am experimenting with it.

I definitely prefer the nasal pillow style of mask. However, I now know if I HAD to use a FFM I could.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,583 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.