Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

should I try a full face mask?
RE: should I try a full face mask?
My experience with a full face mask is most likely not the normal. I did sleep fine with it, maybe slightly better. But.... both times I tried it, which were probably about six months apart, I got a dry socket in a lower tooth. If you've never had a dry socket, you don't want one.

I suspected that the mask may have caused or contributed to the issue, so I stopped using it. Then I tried the second time, and boom, happened again. So I guess the air movement through my mouth under pressure was drying my mouth and causing infection in a tooth. Keep in mind I don't use a humidifier, and they may have been part of it. I just was never able to get used to that molest air, would give me a head ache some times, or not sleep well.

So I just try to keep the mouth closed and use a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered an AirFit F10 and a Mirage Quattro, which came yesterday. The F10 seemed a little more comfortable initially, so I tried that last night. It went ok - my first thought is that I like the P10 better, but my nose feels a lot better after a night off. I'm sure it will be a bit better as I figure out how tight to adjust it and various things like that, but even if it seems like it will be useful to give my nose a break occasionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a nasal pillow that irritates your nose so much you need a break from it, you need a different mask period.

As for the FFM, I use the Simplus. I tried about 3 or 4 I think and liked the Simplus the best. I have a big problem with leaking at the eye and it was the only one that doesn't do that for me.

I use the Nuance until I get tired of the chin strap (I lip leak) then switch to the FFM for a while.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 04:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you have a nasal pillow that irritates your nose so much you need a break from it, you need a different mask period.

I know what you mean, but other than nose irritation the P10 is wonderful. I've woken up multiple times with it and thought "oh no, I took it off in the middle of the night," only to realize it was still on and I just hadn't noticed it.

I'm going to give the F10 some more time, but my goal would be to figure out how to use the P10 and not irritate my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
What lotion are you using? I've tried different ones and find the Lanisoh HPA Lanolin to be the best. You can find it in the baby aisle of any drug store. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2015, 05:44 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What lotion are you using? I've tried different ones and find the Lanisoh HPA Lanolin to be the best. You can find it in the baby aisle of any drug store. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers.

That's what I'm using. I might have started it too late, so now my nose needs a chance to recover.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two other things to consider, based on my personal experience. Check your leak graphs. If you see extended periods of time at high leak rates, it may be an indication that your chin strap is not working for you. This was happening to me. The statistics showed that my leak rates were acceptable because the amount of time I was spending in large leak was not more than the 30% or whatever threshold they use to determine satisfactory. But when I switched to a full face mask the leak graphs looked much much better, and I started to feel a lot better. Less fatigue and overall better.

The other thing for me was that I dreaded going to a full face mask. I started with a nasal mask and hated it because it leaked where the seals met my skin. I had to make sure my face was clean. I even had to get up in the middle of the night sometimes and wash my face because the leaking was bothering me. After using nasal pillows for years I switched to a full face mask and to my surprise I had no problems with leaks or skin oils. I think those original difficulties were associated with me adapting to CPAP therapy as a newbie. I had a very difficult time of it, as do a lot of people. But I hung in there and I'm grateful now that I was able to do it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-19-2015, 09:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There are two other things to consider, based on my personal experience. Check your leak graphs. If you see extended periods of time at high leak rates, it may be an indication that your chin strap is not working for you. This was happening to me. The statistics showed that my leak rates were acceptable because the amount of time I was spending in large leak was not more than the 30% or whatever threshold they use to determine satisfactory. But when I switched to a full face mask the leak graphs looked much much better, and I started to feel a lot better. Less fatigue and overall better.

The other thing for me was that I dreaded going to a full face mask. I started with a nasal mask and hated it because it leaked where the seals met my skin. I had to make sure my face was clean. I even had to get up in the middle of the night sometimes and wash my face because the leaking was bothering me. After using nasal pillows for years I switched to a full face mask and to my surprise I had no problems with leaks or skin oils. I think those original difficulties were associated with me adapting to CPAP therapy as a newbie. I had a very difficult time of it, as do a lot of people. But I hung in there and I'm grateful now that I was able to do it.

The chinstrap did stop my wife complaining about air blowing out of my mouth, so I think it's doing something.

The leak graphs from sleepyhead for the P10 look fine to me. I've attached one that's fairly representative. I do get more leaks in the morning which I haven't been able to figure out, but they're almost always under ResMed's redline of 24lpm:

And here are the leaks from last night with the F10:

I don't have enough data to say if it's representative, and it's certainly messier than the P10 leaks, but it looks from what I can tell. The first night with the F10 had lower leaks, but I've loosened the straps a bit which is more comfortable, and they're still under the redline.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I wear a nasal pillows mask I would get more leaks just like you in the morning hours. I never could figure out why. My guess is that after a while my body gets tired of trying to keep my mouth closed.

The first night or two that I tried a full face mask I also got leaks like you're seeing with yours. But after getting the mask adjusted and getting used to it they subsided. My leaks stay near zero all night except for the occasional short spikes that last for less than 10 seconds.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Being totally into overkill, I have the F10, N10 and P10 in my CPAP drawer. I've found that I can snooze in the afternoon with the P10 but find it claustrophobic at night, the N10 is comfortable but I can't seem to stop the leaks, and the F10 is my nightly mask of choice. I do have to have it quite tight though.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,612 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.