Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

should I upgrade?
Question 
should I upgrade?
Was diagnosed with OSA in 2002, bought a Respironics Remstar Pro C-Flex with Breeze nasal pillows. Broke the Breeze in 2005 and stopped using it for years. Bought a new strap-on nasal pillow rig 6 months ago and started using system again. Has 4300 hours on it. I never heat the air, using an inline water tank that I sometimes even put chilled water in for comfort.

Should I be getting that cpap serviced in some way? Or, being 14 years old, should I be looking at getting something newer with spiffy new features that have become available in the last 14 years?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: should I upgrade?
you should definitely upgrade if you can, to a machine that captures data about your therapy at the very least. Your needs may have changed in 14 years. An auto PAP could serve instead of a new titration, with the only caveat being that it may point to a need for a more sophisticated machine. Still, an APAP is less money than a sleep study Smile depending on your insurance coverage and location.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
If it works don't fix it, do you know what your AHI is with it?

If it has problems and you (or your insurance) will cover the cost of a new one, there have been a few improvements since then, so why not?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 01:25 PM)DariaVader Wrote: you should definitely upgrade if you can, to a machine that captures data about your therapy at the very least. Your needs may have changed in 14 years. An auto PAP could serve instead of a new titration, with the only caveat being that it may point to a need for a more sophisticated machine. Still, an APAP is less money than a sleep study Smile depending on your insurance coverage and location.

this system has a smart card - just never had it read.
I've washed / replaced filters and nasal - well, mostly just antibacterial soap every other day and occasionally a H2O2 rinse. I know how to change pressures. It was set it at 7, ramp 3 over 10 min to 12 - when it seemed insufficient, I started moving it up by .4 every couple of nights and settled on 13.2 for now.

Was wondering more if the thing needs to be opened up for more in depth cleaning after x # of hours (not mentioned in the manual).
I'm covered by the VA now and will be asking them as well. Just figured there would be a lot of experience here to learn from as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would want a newer data capable Auto PAP machine if it were me. After 14 years your favorite uncle should treat you to a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi technico,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would probably be better to get a newer machine as the technology has improved.
Good luck on your machine decision, check out this link, it’s a good guide on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 02:02 PM)technico Wrote: this system has a smart card - just never had it read.
I've washed / replaced filters and nasal - well, mostly just antibacterial soap every other day and occasionally a H2O2 rinse. I know how to change pressures. It was set it at 7, ramp 3 over 10 min to 12 - when it seemed insufficient, I started moving it up by .4 every couple of nights and settled on 13.2 for now.

Was wondering more if the thing needs to be opened up for more in depth cleaning after x # of hours (not mentioned in the manual).
I'm covered by the VA now and will be asking them as well. Just figured there would be a lot of experience here to learn from as well.

You should not open the machine... cleaning filters, hoses, tanks, masks is sufficient. You do need a mask that wont leak, and you do need to get some treatment efficacy data. If you want to use the old machine, you should probably test it with a manometer to make sure it's putting out what it says it is. An autopap can give you the data you need for less money than a new titration study can and 85% chance it would give you all that you need. Modern machines are more comfortable and quieter, and they don't need a proprietary card reader as your current machine most likely does. That's my opinion Smile
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 01:05 PM)technico Wrote: Was diagnosed with OSA in 2002, bought a Respironics Remstar Pro C-Flex with Breeze nasal pillows. Broke the Breeze in 2005 and stopped using it for years. Bought a new strap-on nasal pillow rig 6 months ago and started using system again. Has 4300 hours on it. I never heat the air, using an inline water tank that I sometimes even put chilled water in for comfort.

Should I be getting that cpap serviced in some way? Or, being 14 years old, should I be looking at getting something newer with spiffy new features that have become available in the last 14 years?

Get a new one and hold on to your old one as a backup. My insurance requires me to take my machine when I travel until I own it (13 months in order to maintain compliance). During that period, my DME will provide a backup on a few hour's notice. After that, I plan to get a backup machine when I go somewhere. It only takes once to forget the danged cord somewhere and while people may be happy to ship it back to you, you are that many days without therapy. Believe me, the headaches come back quickly! That said, many people never bothered with a backup machine in the past. I'm looking for a solid, good used auto machine that does not have to be Sleepyhead compatible since I'm normally using my Airsense For Her.

The advantage of a new auto machine is that they have a lot of data that can help you perfect your therapy. Now that you are older, your needs can change with the seasons. My recommendation is to only get a machine that works with Sleepyhead.

Oh, and a travel tip. Make sure everything, including the cord, has your name and phone number on it. You are more likely to get it back.

Finally, you CAN get your device serviced. There are two who do such work in our Supplier's Listing. I'm not sure it needs it if there are no odd smells though. Simply change the filter. There aren't any moving parts or oiled parts as you would have in say a sewing machine that sat in the closet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 11:36 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: There aren't any moving parts or oiled parts as you would have in say a sewing machine that sat in the closet.

I beg to differ. I've taken apart a few of my machines when they died and they all do have at least one moving part - the blower! But like the Mb said there's nothing in them that a user could service.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 08:41 PM)PollCat Wrote:
(03-31-2016, 11:36 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: There aren't any moving parts or oiled parts as you would have in say a sewing machine that sat in the closet.

I beg to differ. I've taken apart a few of my machines when they died and they all do have at least one moving part - the blower! But like the Mb said there's nothing in them that a user could service.

wouldn't be the first time I'd heard of someone oiling a bearing....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,762 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does ResMed plan to upgrade to 5G ? 3disorders 1 522 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 572 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset firmware upgrade? Tomislav 6 2,774 01-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Tomislav
  Upgrade to AS11? txrpls 6 1,150 08-20-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Online Sleep Doctors--Easy Rx (renewal/upgrade)? Scam? Thoughts? PurchanceToDream 2 750 04-30-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: PurchanceToDream
  [Diagnosis] Insurance for upgrade to Aircurve PSlebow 18 1,573 04-16-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: PSlebow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.