Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sinus problems/eardrums under pressure
sinus problems/eardrums under pressure
While under cpap therapy the eardrum will always be under pressure relative to ambient short of wearing a divers hardhat.
I have had ear and sinus problems since birth. Born a generation earlier I would likely be deaf but for the development of penicillin. I am concerned about is cpap aggravating these problems. Valsalva is my constant friend especially during allergy season(s).
I'm going to hope getting OSA induced GERD under control will hope long term.

Any advice from the BTDT?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sinus problems/eardrums under pressure
Learn to swallow after exhale and before inhale. Keep sinuses clear with nasal sprays, netipots, etc (I like the stuff with xylitol)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely what Daria said
Post Reply Post Reply
I had ear problems as a kid. As a sport diver I have to consciously clear my ears as I descend. I've never had a problem yet on the PAP machine wrt Eustachian tube and ear pressure problems. I'm sure you'll be fine!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 03:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Learn to swallow after exhale and before inhale. Keep sinuses clear with nasal sprays, netipots, etc (I like the stuff with xylitol)

I don't know how one can remember to swallow after exhale and before inhale while sleeping. Am I confused?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 02:39 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: While under cpap therapy the eardrum will always be under pressure relative to ambient short of wearing a divers hardhat.
I have had ear and sinus problems since birth. Born a generation earlier I would likely be deaf but for the development of penicillin. I am concerned about is cpap aggravating these problems. Valsalva is my constant friend especially during allergy season(s).
I'm going to hope getting OSA induced GERD under control will hope long term.

Any advice from the BTDT?

I have issues with allergies and my sinuses and I can say I have a lot of issues with them since I started treatment. I really have a lot of issues with my left ear. Recently, I was on my side petting one of the pups and my ear clogged up. Had an MRI and had fluid in my ear but also the beginning of an ear infection at the mastoid bone. The antibiotic kicked my you know what. I still am not 100% and my nose is stopped up right now. I wonder if it is from using the humidifier. I don't know but I turned the temperature down to 70 I think. I don't remember my ear hurting that bad in many years and it was almost swollen shut. before I was on my side to pet the pup, I didn't have any symptoms.

DocWils is the person to answer this question. I don't know if cpap treatment causes these issues. They aren't easy to deal with to be sure but I don't want to go without my machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2015, 12:25 AM)me50 Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 03:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Learn to swallow after exhale and before inhale. Keep sinuses clear with nasal sprays, netipots, etc (I like the stuff with xylitol)

I don't know how one can remember to swallow after exhale and before inhale while sleeping. Am I confused?

doing it while awake feels so natural that once i started it, now its what i always do. I got a bad ear infection and had to fly right after i started pap, and pap seemed to make it worse. I finally got rid of the deafening ringing and fullness after i started the xylitol spray.

Post Reply Post Reply
You use a sugar substitute spray? Up your nose?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2015, 07:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You use a sugar substitute spray? Up your nose?

Is very effective antibiotic
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
yes indeed Smile

Been using Xlear (clear) but intend to make my own
http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/vol...clean.html

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,499 10 hours ago
Last Post: jiyun
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 530 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,204 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 236 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,028 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.