Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep apnea and general anesthesia
sleep apnea and general anesthesia
I am diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I am scheduled for an endoscopy with profonol general anesthesia. I am scared I will stop breathing and die like joan rivers. I had this twice before no problems but back then I was skinnier and had only mild sleep apnea with only hypopneas no apneas. my sleep test showed my oxygen level getting down to 77 but because I recovered quickly, no need for oxygen. I don't have a cpap because I tried them and I am too claustrophobic. has anyone gone under general anesthesia and been ok or was there problems? the procedure is suppose to last 20 minutes. I am afraid of twilight sleep because they say it can cause problems with sleep apnea later on that night. thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep apnea and general anesthesia
I have severe sleep apnea and had Propofol for a colonoscopy.
I can only relate my experience. When the anesthesiologist pushed the plunger, I was out in seconds.
When I woke, the procedure was over and within 15 minutes I was on my way home.
I felt great the rest of the day; and I slept on my cpap just fine that night.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 11:10 PM)justMongo Wrote: I have severe sleep apnea and had Propofol for a colonoscopy.
I can only relate my experience. When the anesthesiologist pushed the plunger, I was out in seconds.

thank you for responding so quickly. did you have a cpap on during your colonoscopy?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 11:59 PM)babbins1 Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 11:10 PM)justMongo Wrote: I have severe sleep apnea and had Propofol for a colonoscopy.

thank you for responding so quickly. did you have a cpap on during your colonoscopy?

No, I had an oxygen nasal canula on.
I think the risks that we hear about like Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers are when the anesthesia is used in a setting without proper facilities for all emergency contingencies. I was in a full up hospital setting.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 10:53 PM)babbins1 Wrote: I am diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I am scheduled for an endoscopy with profonol general anesthesia. I am scared I will stop breathing and die like joan rivers. I had this twice before no problems but back then I was skinnier and had only mild sleep apnea with only hypopneas no apneas. my sleep test showed my oxygen level getting down to 77 but because I recovered quickly, no need for oxygen. I don't have a cpap because I tried them and I am too claustrophobic. has anyone gone under general anesthesia and been ok or was there problems? the procedure is suppose to last 20 minutes. I am afraid of twilight sleep because they say it can cause problems with sleep apnea later on that night. thank you

G'day babbins1, welcome to Apnea Board.

I've had a couple of general anaesthetics with no problems at all. Two of them were to remove polyps from my vocal chords, so there was a lot of stuff going down my throat, but I slept like a baby afterwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
In 2010 I had a colonoscopy and when the anesthesiologist came in to talk with me, she told me she uses propophol and I was adamant about using was having a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

I had some issues when they put the scope down my throat so they stopped.

Then they did the other end and had absolutely no issues at all. That tells me that there are issues with something in the way my body structure is up top that causes issues because if it was due to the anesthesia, I would have had issues no matter what part they were checking out.

I also had the colonoscopy/endoscopy done in a hospital and I recommend that for all with OSA and really, even though there are problems in some hospitals, I would recommend any procedure involving any kind of anesthesia be done in a hospital. Just my opinion

I don't intend to ever have another procedure done anyway so I am not concerned at this point. There are noninvasive ways to do the same thing. You see, it all depends on what the doctor sees and they can miss something either way it is done so I have opted for the noninvasive procedures. Yea, the barium tastes crappy but it is worth it for me to not be worried about anesthesia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you tell your anesthesiologist? You'll be fine. I was told they might intubate my airway if I had trouble breathing. Wasn't necessary and I was fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I had really bad anxiety before I got my apnea treated. You say you can't use a CPAP because you are claustrophobic; maybe you're claustrophobic because you don't use a CPAP. Just something to think about.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Babbibs1,
I had a similar procedure done about 5 years ago. It was done in an outpatient surgery center, not a hospital. I will never forget that experience. The procedure didn't take that long, but they could not wake me up afterwards. I believe I was given too much anesthia. I was told later by family that my oxygen levels dipped to under 70.
Looking back, I now know that I had sleep apnea, but had no idea at time of surgery. I obviously came out of that ok, but my advise would be this:
If you have this procedure done, have it done in a hospital where they are equipped for emergencies, unlike an outpatient surgery center. Also be sure the surgeon, anesthiolgist, nurse, etc. know you have sleep apnea. Your procedure should go fine if you take precautions and not leave it up to Doctors. Good Luck to you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Babbibs1
Also, just want to let your know that I am also claustrophobic. I suffered a lot of anxiety after I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It took me awhile to get used to CPAP Therapy...it has been four months already, but now it is going well for me.
You see, I choose to live! The alternative wasnt an option for me.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 359 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 133 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 583 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.