Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep apnea and general anesthesia
RE: sleep apnea and general anesthesia
Hi babbins1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
First of all, just make sure your docs know that you have sleep apnea.
Next, I want to encourage you to try CPAP therapy again. There are quite a few different masks that help if you are clostraphobic. I use a pillows mask and a chinstrap that is very minimalist. In other words, they don't cover so much of my face and that helps me to really get great benefits out of my CPAP therapy. There are nasal masks that are minimalist as well, so don't let that get in your way. I hope you will reconsider trying again.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 01:38 PM)eviltim Wrote: Also, I had really bad anxiety before I got my apnea treated. You say you can't use a CPAP because you are claustrophobic; maybe you're claustrophobic because you don't use a CPAP. Just something to think about.

the mask would be what would affect claustrophobia I would think so maybe you can try a less invasive mask, like nasal pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any anesthesiologist worth their diploma would be able to handle a patient with sleep apnea.

For a colonoscopy, you are on your side, not your back. This helps with keeping the throat open.

Propofol is a fast acting drug. It knocks you out fast and can be reversed fast. It's nickname is "milk of amnesia" since, while on it, the patient doesn't remember a thing from shortly before and shortly after. This is useful in emergency situations and in the ICU. It is so fast acting, it can be used for short procedures such as quick bone setting or joint relocation.

Because it is so easily reversed and because it is so commonly used in hospital settings (one article I just read said that is 99% of its use), I have no problems with ever being knocked out with it.

As a person with a medical condition, it is your responsibility to ensure the anesthesiologist knows you have UNTREATED sleep apnea. Let him/her know your fears.

Once you have it done, return here and we'll help you deal with the claustrophobia and get to using the CPAP machine again. There's more risk, more diseases, more syndromes to worry about from leaving your sleep apnea untreated than going under anesthesia once every 5 yrs for 20 minutes.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had sinus polyps removed, gall bladder removed both with general anesthesia. Had obstructive SA at the time but didnt know it.

Both times I was a bit longer to wake up than normal in recovery but nothing dangerous.

Just let them know you have it so they arent caught with their surgical gowns down so to speak and youll be fine.

There are tons of masks etc out there to help you deal with being claustrophobic. You really need to get your SA treated before it causes serious cardiac problems and other problems. Trust me you really dont want to go down that road when the treatment to prevent it is so easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a endoscopy and a week later I was diagnose with moderate sleep apnea no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a c-scope in the fall and told them I have OSA. Said it was not really an issue as they have procedures for someone with it. Procedure went without any problems and my doc said I would get my next one in 10 years.

When I had my back surgery I also told them about my OSA. Only thing I had to do was bring my own mask, however, they never used it as it didn't fit their system. Instead, they put me on a wifi O2 sensor and said if it dropped too low, they would take it from there. I was awake most of the night anyway (can't sleep in hospitals) and no issues.

In both cases, no problem using my own machine when I got home.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
as many people as go under anesthesia, there are hardly any issues with it BUT, they do happen. Make sure that you make it clear and you tell the anesthesiologist yourself and not bank on it getting relayed to him or her, that you have OSA.

I was told by an anesthesiologist that it was much better for people with OSA to go under anesthesia rather than "twilight" because it is easier to help a patient if they have a problem.

In the 80's I went to a hospital to have my wisdom teeth removed because it was easier for me to have it done at one time and under anesthesia since they were wrapped around the bones. Apparently, during the procedure, I quit breathing. It was attributed to the anesthesiologist giving me too much anesthesia but who knows (I never got a bill from the anesthesiologist). At any rate, that was dinosaur technology then compared to what there is now and I lived through it. I think some of the problem might have been that I had OSA way back then but I don't know as I never had any symptoms that I am aware of but heck, I was young and was raising children, playing sports, etc. etc. The point is, even with dinosaur technology compared to today, I was in a hospital setting and I am alive today, in my opinion, because of that and a fast acting medical person(s).

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy in 2010 with anesthesia and instead of twilight (propofol was used) and I had trouble when they were doing the endoscopy but not a bit of trouble with the colonoscopy. That tells me that it was definitely not an issue with the anesthesia.

Like many have said, have the procedure done in a regular hospital setting where there is more access to help if you should have an issue and not a stand-a-lone facility AND make sure YOU talk to the anesthesiologist and tell them YOURSELF about having OSA and any other conditions you have so they are prepared to take care of any situations that may happen. In other words, they are going to have plans in place in case they have to go to battle!

The rest is up to a higher power
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both, an endoscopy and colonoscopy every year. Been doing that for over 8 years. Use to do it with no anesthesia. Finally wised up and now do it in what you guys call twilight. Never had a problem.

As they say "Practise makes perfect." (:-)

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 12:11 AM)justMongo Wrote: ...
I think the risks that we hear about like Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers are when the anesthesia is used in a setting without proper facilities for all emergency contingencies. I was in a full up hospital setting.

We have a winner. THAT is the takeaway. Have a serious discussion with the anesthesiologist, preferably BEFORE he knocks you out.

As far as anecdotal evidence that "I had no issue", how many procedures did Joan Rivers have with "no issue"? All of them (and there were a lot of procedures for her) except maybe the very last one.

Hospital setting. Dialogue with the anesthesiologist. Give yourself a fighting chance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Look, I've had several procedures to remove kidney stones under general anaesthetic. First time I took my CPAP with me, but the Anaesthetist (who I got to know well over the years) said "look it's my job to keep you breathing... don't worry"

Mind you I ensure to disclose it on the medical questionnaire

Somehow I've managed to awaken in the recovery ward without incident, and since they keep patients elevated there's no way you can have an apnea "event" because you're not lying flat on the bed.

So please allow me to assure anybody up for being put to sleep DO NOT WORRY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 357 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 131 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 583 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.