Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep cycle
sleep cycle
Which part of the sleep cycle causes centrals, inhale or exhale?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep cycle
Here read this link. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_(CSA)
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 08:00 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: ... centrals, inhale or exhale?

??????
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 08:00 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: Which part of the sleep cycle causes centrals, inhale or exhale?

Essentially it is the brain that causes centrals. I just tells the body to stop breathing as much. If you look at the detailed traces in SleepyHead you will see that the typical central starts with regular breathing that becomes shallower, shallower, and eventually you just stop breathing. It stays that way until your body "wakes up" and says "you idiot start breathing again"!
Post Reply Post Reply
No part of the sleep cycle causes centrals. Centrals happen after Exhaling and before inhaling
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2018, 09:48 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 08:00 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: Which part of the sleep cycle causes centrals, inhale or exhale?

Essentially it is the brain that causes centrals. I just tells the body to stop breathing as much. If you look at the detailed traces in SleepyHead you will see that the typical central starts with regular breathing that becomes shallower, shallower, and eventually you just stop breathing. It stays that way until your body "wakes up" and says "you idiot start breathing again"!

Yes, I have even done that when awake and not paying attention when fed up with what is on the TV and not paying attention to anything.
My breathing just got slower and slower until I forgot to breathe.  A few seconds after my brain decided I had stopped breathing and started me breathing with a start and buy making me take in a big gulp of air and my heart speeded up.
Gives you a start, but it happened very rarely.
I heard a recording of my mate falling asleep before he had a diagnoses of Sleep Apnea and he slowed down his breathing very slowly over a few minutes until he stopped breathing.  He then didn't breathe for well over 30 seconds, then he took a gulp of air and started breathing again.
There was no grunt or snort or anything, he just started breathing again but a bit faster for a few breathes before very slowly doing the same thing.
He was given a CPAP machine, which I think might be the wrong one for him, however, he appears to be fine on it for the most part.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 222 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 713 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,416 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 833 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
Video Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle Mouchet 3 1,417 04-02-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  ResMed AirCurve Trigger/Cycle brainf0g 17 8,368 02-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.