Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep debt
sleep debt
There has been a lot of discussion about whether sleep debt is real or not. In the book _The

Head Trip_ by Jeff Warren he talks about a research study by Thomas Wehr who found there is such a phenomena and it takes about three or four weeks to pay back. You cannot pay it all back over a few nights of binge sleeping. In fact he found "most of us carry around a huge, and potentially compromising sleep-debt without realizing". Most of his subjects stabilized in a pattern of sleeping eight hours a night after the debt was paid off (he studied 15 healthy volunteers). I usually sleep about 9 hours which is better than the 10+ hours I was sleeping before getting in tine with the ASV. It took his volunteers three to four weeks to pay it back.

The book is _The Head Trip_ Adventures on the Wheel of Consciousness. by Jeff Warren.

I am on page 68 of a 300+ book and so far it's all been about sleep and dreaming. Very interesting book.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep debt
Some believe the "sleep debt" thing to be a faulty hypothesis. Some feel it truly exists. I'm in the camp of "it's there for some people but not everyone".

I'll look that book up. Thanks for pointing it out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
From a strictly medical point of view, it is utter bollocks and has no grounding in any credible research.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the book suggestion, Skyler. I've placed a hold at my local library. (Georgia's public library system is awesome. They didn't have it at the local library, but I could get it through inter-library loan.)

I wonder sometimes if what some people call sleep debt is really about adrenal fatigue and/or perhaps the body's ability to recuperate over a number of weeks/months after finally getting some decent deep (recuperative) sleep.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I still say it depends on your definition of sleep debt. I'm not sure what definition you're using when you say it doesn't exist, and you don't seem to want to tell us.

There is no doubt that if you skip a night's sleep, or get a poor night's sleep because your alarm woke you 5 hours after you went to sleep, you'll spend more time sleeping the next night, or you'll spend more time in REM sleep the next night. This effect increases if the number of nights of missed or poor sleep is more than just one.

My alarm woke me at 5:30 am today. It'll do that again tomorrow. As a result I'll be going to bed tomorrow night earlier than usual because I'll be especially tired.

To me, I've incurred a debt and I'm paying it back.

This is all based on sound scientific research, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All research shows that no matter how sleep deprived you are or have been and for no matter who long, a single good night's sleep makes up for it, hence, sleep debt is a myth, under any definition.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 03:20 AM)DocWils Wrote: All research shows that no matter how sleep deprived you are or have been and for no matter who long, a single good night's sleep makes up for it, hence, sleep debt is a myth, under any definition.
Then there is something else going on. Perhaps it's not sleep debt, but it takes many people who are just starting CPAP weeks or months before they begin feeling benefit. What would you say are the reasons for this phenomenon?
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I've learned about research and things we 'know' to be true...

They can change.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 11:39 AM)Paptillian Wrote: One thing I've learned about research and things we 'know' to be true...

They can change.

Yep. Coffee is bad for you, then coffee is good for you. Salt is good for you, then salt is bad for you. Then Chocolate is bad, then back to good. Sunshine bad, then good. I know anything in excess can be bad, even water. But I tend to not take much stock in the "new scientific study of the day" for making my decisions, especially as I get older.

The problem with many so-called "scientfic studies" is that they are not scientific at all, and have many biases built into their data. And they usually don't publish all the specific details of their research - at least not enough to give the average person an idea of whether they've used true unbiased research techniques.

As for me, I will drink coffee until I die - regardless of how many eggheads tell me I'm killing myself. Bigwink Coffee

As for sleep debt - I don't believe in getting in too much debt - it's bad. Pay cash upfront instead. GrinEat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 01:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ... Coffee is bad for you, then coffee is good for you. Salt is good for you, then salt is bad for you. Then Chocolate is bad, then back to good. Sunshine bad, then good. ...
Wasn't there a point when trans fat margarine was supposed to be good for you, as opposed to polyunsaturated? Maybe it was the other way around, or it depended on the year, or the phase of the moon... :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,012 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 684 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,202 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.