Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep debt
RE: sleep debt
(07-30-2013, 03:20 AM)DocWils Wrote: All research shows that no matter how sleep deprived you are or have been and for no matter who long, a single good night's sleep makes up for it, hence, sleep debt is a myth, under any definition.

A single good night's sleep, then, is repayment of the debt.

By "makes up for it" I assume you mean that the results of some performance test return to normal after that good night's sleep?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 11:39 AM)Paptillian Wrote: One thing I've learned about research and things we 'know' to be true...

They can change.

That's a good point. Knowledge gained in scientific studies is not absolute. That knowledge is tentative and only as good as the conditions under which it was learned.

Nevertheless, the process of gaining knowledge in this way has produced some remarkable results. Think of the strides made in medical science alone. Compare the fates of a wounded soldier in the US Civil War of the 1860's and the war in Afganistan. Lots of other comparisons, too, like infant mortality rates, life expectancies, etc.

And let's not forget that without medical science we wouldn't have CPAP machines!

And other forms of scientific research have brought us the automoblile, the computer, the web, the cell phone. And so on ...
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is known is that almost any physiological and psychological damage caused by deprived sleep is restored by one good night's sleep. However, sever damages to the circulatory system and endocrine system will take longer and restoration is not based on getting additional rest.

As for what is going on with people starting CPAP is that there is a settling in period, where they are relearning sleep patterns and expectations, and this may be mistaken for "making up on sleep debt", IMHO. But this has nothing to do with settling a perceived debt due to privation at all.

As for CPAP usage preventing strokes and heart attacks, that is correct, but not because the new sleep pattern "cures" the damage done, but rather prevents the damage form getting worse, and in the long run will help restoration of the most sever damage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 09:51 AM)DreamDiver Wrote: Then there is something else going on. Perhaps it's not sleep debt, but it takes many people who are just starting CPAP weeks or months before they begin feeling benefit. What would you say are the reasons for this phenomenon?

I think that it takes time for the human body to adapt to things like CPAP therapy. I've been on it for 21 months and I'm still noticing changes in my sleep patterns. Slowly, and I mean very slowly, I am returning to a normal pattern of sleep.

Now I find it much easier to fall asleep and stay asleep, even though I typically wake several times per night. These awakenings used to be a disaster, as many times I would have get out of bed and read until I felt sleepy again. It used to be a regular occurrence, but now I can't remember the last time I had to do it.

Of course, it could happen tonight that I wake up at 2:00 am and can't get back to sleep. But it's no longer a disaster as it doesn't happen often enough to interfere significantly with my daily life.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have had a "bad habit" for fifteen years, how long to you think it will take for you to get into a "good habit", especially if you are relying on a machine to help you into it rather than conscious effort? The body has trained itself to do things one way and must now learn to do things another way - that can take time and that is what is going on here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they deal with debt differently in Switzerland. As for the US, several well respected physicians that I am acquainted with believe that sleep debt is real.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't matter how much I should sleep. Even with a near perfect CPAP night I not going to sleep more than 8 hours and more likely not more than seven. I simply can't sleep any longer than that. Since starting CPAP I feel much better but still take a 15 to 45-minute nap about five days a week. I take it because I can (retired). On days when I don't nap I still only sleep 7-8 hours.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.