Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study
RE: sleep study
You need to do whatever it is that makes you feel as if you are getting the best care possible. Keep just as tight a grip on your belief that doctors are not deities and DMEs aren't either.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 07:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You need to do whatever it is that makes you feel as if you are getting the best care possible. Keep just as tight a grip on your belief that doctors are not deities and DMEs aren't either.

Since my set pressure was 12 before I got the autoset, I set the pressure to 12-20 and decided to ramp it so I don't get blasted with that pressure from the onset and while it is ramping, I can read myself to sleep (lol). That way, during my sleep, if I need a higher pressure, it won't be such a huge jump.

Will report how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me50

If it it were me, I would start with 10 to 15 and look at the data to see where the machine thought I should be. Then make adjustments from there. You might discover 12 is not your optimal pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 11:08 AM)bwexler Wrote: Me50

If it it were me, I would start with 10 to 15 and look at the data to see where the machine thought I should be. Then make adjustments from there. You might discover 12 is not your optimal pressure.

I have it on 12 to 20 right now because 95% of the time I am close to 20. Thanks!

Seeing the doc on the 7th and will go from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my sleep study results and it is just so sad that they say what my pressure should be based on 29 minutes of sleep at that set pressure.

All of my data, with low leaks, show that 95% of the time I am at 19.9 but they say that 16 was a good pressure for me.

Really livid!
Post Reply Post Reply
me50.......Maybe the doc wants to do another sleep study on a bipap machine to see if that works better for you since your pressure is so high. Sometimes doctors are not clear about WHY they do what they do...... so I have found that you have to be pro-active and ask a lot of questions. I would stick with this doc for now.....at least he/she is doing something to try and help you.

Hope this helps!

LOVEDOG
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2013, 10:06 PM)LOVEDOG Wrote: me50.......Maybe the doc wants to do another sleep study on a bipap machine to see if that works better for you since your pressure is so high. Sometimes doctors are not clear about WHY they do what they do...... so I have found that you have to be pro-active and ask a lot of questions. I would stick with this doc for now.....at least he/she is doing something to try and help you.

Hope this helps!

LOVEDOG

I had a sleep study for that reason on Oct. 11 because I was concerned that my current machine was already at its max pressure. They had me at 16 for a total of 29 minutes where they claim I had no AHI's (not all that uncommon as I can go hours without any AHI's) and decided that was a good pressure for me. They didn't try 17 or put me on BIPAP like the doc told them to if my pressure got to 16. At pressure 15 during the sleep study for 3.5 minutes, I had 1 hypopnea, 1 apnea, AHI 34.3; Supine REM AHI 34.3; 17.1 Central
Post Reply Post Reply
ME50....This is just my opinion from what you are saying here. It sounds like you were tested on cpap only and not bipap at all. I would ask the doc WHY you were not given a split study because of the high pressures that you seem to require. I know for myself when the pressure goes above 15, I am extremely uncomfortable with mask blowing off, aerophagia, etc.

It is my understanding that you have an appointment on 11/7/13 to discuss the results of this study. Go in there armed with questions. Also get a complete copy of your sleep study (graphs included) in case you are not satisfied with what the doc says to you. Then you can make the decision as to whether you want to changed docs/sleep center.

Since cpap is still in it's infancy we as patients have to be very proactive to get the treatment that we need. It is just plain silly that they would base your pressure numbers on 29 minutes. Even one night is not enough IMO.

Unless the doc seems totally locigal and gives you a very understandable explanation of what is going on with your sleep....I would probably seek a second opinion!

LOVEDOG
Post Reply Post Reply
I would start by contacting the director of the sleep lab and request/demand a Bipap sleep study as was ordered originally at no additional cost. You can explain your reasons and express sympathy for the tech, but insist they make it right. I would also push for the new test and results prior to the November appointment with your sleep doc, so that appointment can be productive.
You will want to get your new machine this year. I know I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2013, 12:36 PM)bwexler Wrote: I would start by contacting the director of the sleep lab and request/demand a Bipap sleep study as was ordered originally at no additional cost. You can explain your reasons and express sympathy for the tech, but insist they make it right. I would also push for the new test and results prior to the November appointment with your sleep doc, so that appointment can be productive.
You will want to get your new machine this year. I know I do.

I talked to the Director and he said they followed the doctor's orders. I just spoke with the doctor and am faxing him my download from my cpap. I told him all that I have told you all and how lousy I felt all weekend and that 29 minutes wasn't enough and he felt 16 was optimal pressure and I then REMINDED him I am on auto pap at at 20 95% of the time. I also discussed with him that I am extremely concerned about my SP02 being at 85% at pressure 16. He doesn't seem concerned but I am!! I really believe I am not getting enough O2 and that is why I wake up all the time during the night.

Thank you both for your advice!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.