Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study attached, looking for advice
RE: sleep study attached, looking for advice
(05-01-2018, 10:04 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: In our Pittsburgh Craigslist there is a distributor that sells the Airsense 10 Autoset for $495.  As far as I know it's a legitimate deal, and they transact using Paypal for your protection.  You have to call them to order, but it's a very good deal on a new machine with warranty.  (888) 965-7655.

Just out of curiosity (and so I can avoid them), which DME dispensed the brick?  Also, let me know if you ever want to meet at Rivertowne.

Yeah, i've seen that deal, as well as 2 used autosets for sale right now on craigslist, although i am nervous about buying a used machine off of a private individual.  The new deal for $495 just seems fishy.  Has anyone ever actually purchased one through them?

The DME was Mon Valley Medical Supply.  I get that they are trying to maximize profit, but come on, at least an Elite version would offer data over the brick and they would still make money.  hell for what they whack insurance, they are making money.

Ahi last night was 7.3 also and i probably woke up 3 times... I just really want to know more info on the types and lengths of these events i'm having so i can work better on fixing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as the new machine goes, you can call them and learn more. Their ads have been around a long time, and if it were ripping people off you'd probably see their ads get reported and pulled. There are a couple distributors (not retailers) that do this, and it is a good deal to buy out of the back door, so to speak. It's a good business for them and since they don't provide any services beyond the sale it increases the bottom line. I can't guarantee the deal, but it is one I would probably use if I was out of pocket. The use of Paypal does give you some assurance of receiving product. Let's face it, this is not their first rodeo and they are not out of business.

The used machines on the South Side look like Autosets and the one in West Mifflin with 6K hours is priced okay at $125, but I would haggle and be absolutely positively certain it has never been around cigarette smoke. I have purchased off private sellers on CL and it works out okay. You usually get a pretty good sense of who you're dealing with from talking on the phone, and you can always meet for an exchange in a public place like McDonalds or Starbucks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
if the dr. wants to just increase your set pressure, mention the titration study that already determined that doesn't work for you with the central's coming into play. Ask how he will be able to check how an increase in the set pressure would be affecting you? i.e. central vs. obstructive vs. hypopnea episodes since you were given a "brick." Smile Ask if a bipap titration would be beneficial...it's obvious the 9 cmH2O cpap is not working for you. Also mention you still feel tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 02:26 PM)dmeRT Wrote: if the dr. wants to just increase your set pressure, mention the titration study that already determined that doesn't work for you with the central's coming into play.  Ask how he will be able to check how an increase in the set pressure would be affecting you?  i.e. central vs. obstructive vs. hypopnea episodes since you were given a "brick."  Smile      Ask if a bipap titration would be beneficial...it's obvious the 9 cmH2O cpap is not working for you.  Also mention you still feel tired.

Thats pretty much the route i planned on going.   If he suggests a bipap titration, i'll do it, but it's not something i'm looking forward to, or waiting for.  We'll see what he has to say tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, i had my appointment this morning. My doctor is wanting me to do another cpap/vpap study this time which is scheduled for may 21 and then a daytime sleepiness test on the following day which just sounds miserable. He did say he doesn't want to just make a pressure change because he has no idea if it will be effective or not because of the central events i had during the initial titration and doesn't know whether or not they are still lingering so i'm assuming he thinks there is the possibility i have complex apnea. He said it's about a $5000 machine, so that leads me to believe that he's talking about an ASV machine and not just a bipap machine? I've seen the older s9 resmed bipap machines were all called vpap, so i'm a little unsure though which mode exactly will be used for the study. I tried my best to get him to prescribe an autoset machine, but he just seemed to want no part of it. At least he is willing to keep pursuing another avenue to help get me sleeping better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, he means an ASV, but even in them skimpy Canuck dollars you can get one for $4K.  I know, I looked....just cuz.  I am quite certain you could pick a new one up for +/- USD$3K, and maybe a lot cheaper.  But yes, he means an ASV, and they're almost twice what a ResMed AS10 Elite is, a straight CPAP with data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jgrizz80, Supplier #2 will do a brand new Aircurve 10 ASV for $2150, so that is the real uninsured cost. They also offer "lightly used" ASV at about half that price. If you don't have good insurance coverage, that is the way to go. The big question is, how is your insurance coverage. The bilevel/ASV study is worth while, as is a screening echocariogram to determine heart health, but a daytime sleepyness test is really a waste. We know you're not treated properly. What's the point?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2018, 02:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Jgrizz80, Supplier #2 will do a brand new Aircurve 10 ASV for $2150, so that is the real uninsured cost.  They also offer "lightly used" ASV at about half that price.  If you don't have good insurance coverage, that is the way to go.  The big question is, how is your insurance coverage.  The bilevel/ASV study is worth while, as is a screening echocariogram to determine heart health, but a daytime sleepyness test is really a waste. We know you're not treated properly. What's the point?

I actually have pretty damn good insurance, so thats not an issue at least for now, but who knows how it will be if the ASV machine is needed.  The doctor this morning didn't mention anything about an echo screening for heart health, but I had an echo and a heart stress test done last september when i was having heart palpitations (which is what lead to this whole sleep apnea diagnosis anyway) and everything checked out 100%.  I'm pretty sure that they were caused by stress and anxiety.  I agree about the daytime test, but whatever, if thats what he wants me to do, I'll suck it up and deal with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I had my follow up cpap/vpap titration study last thursday, as well as the MSLT test the following day. Apparently i had only 1 central the entire night, so there was no need to switch me to the ASV therapy. They did take the pressure up to 15 during the titration, and determined that was my new best setting, and the DME raised the pressure on the machine yesterday to that. Last night was the first night on it, which was fine, but still woke up to an AHI of 4.9. Still, unfortunately with the brick that i have, i have no idea what type, what time, how long, or how clustered together the events were. I'm obviously going to give it way more time, but i think i am going to end up purchasing my own machine so i can see what is going on. Would the aircurve Vauto give the most flexibility as far as machines go for different types of therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vauto can be configured in anyway an auto CPAP can be and fixed CPAP. It is an auto bilevel CPAP machine and is also fully data reporting. Great machine.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 5 215 5 minutes ago
Last Post: srpmccarthy
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,638 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 115 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,074 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 286 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.