Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study, indices and events
sleep study, indices and events
At the sleep tech today, going to do a small sleep test with the finger probe, see how that compares to the machine data.

Tech says she has no idea why my CAs are high, my OSs are good, but CAs still high.

She is going to recommend an overnight sleep study, but that may take 6 months for me to get unless I want to pay for it..

So:

I have downloaded Encore Basic, and I notice that the data I found was using Indices as apposed to Events. I am not clear how these differ, I can see that for instance last night my Indices OSa and CAs were CA= 13.1; OS= 1.9. the same in SleepyHead.

But when I look at Events in Sleepyhead I see 119 CA events, 17 OA events...

I looked up what is the difference and how it is arrived at...I see that SH includes all events, Encore seems to have a cut off...anyway, will continue reading...

I feel way worse now than before CPAP started, not sure whether to purchase a machine now or tough it out without a machine til the overnight sleep study...

Sorry if this is rambling, my brain is barely working at present...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep study, indices and events
(08-14-2014, 05:10 PM)storywizard Wrote: At the sleep tech today, going to do a small sleep test with the finger probe, see how that compares to the machine data.
The finger probe thing is an oximeter, measure blood O2 levels, high 90 is good but you expect it to be good during the day
You need to it during the night while you,re asleep using the machine at home
Not too expensive, you can buy one and track the data using SleepyHead
[SleepyHead works with Contec CMS50D+/E/F Oximeters either standalone or synced with CPAP data, up to firmware revision v3.7, plus data files produced by the SpO2Review software for newer firmware devices]

For central apnea, you need a sleep study in sleep lab, they wrap a belt around your chest to measure your breathing effort
Central sleep apnea when the airways remain open but the brain does not send signals to breathe
If you have been diagnosed with central sleep apnea, you need to be on a special machine designed to treat central sleep apnea

Do you take any pain relief medication list opiate as an ingredient?
Opiate medication known to cause central sleep apnea

Edit: for an oximeter, check Supplier #19
Supplers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 05:51 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 05:10 PM)storywizard Wrote: At the sleep tech today, going to do a small sleep test with the finger probe, see how that compares to the machine data.
The finger probe thing is an oximeter, measure blood O2 levels, high 90 is good but you expect it to be good during the day
You need to it during the night while you,re asleep using the machine at home
Not too expensive, you can buy one and track the data using SleepyHead
[SleepyHead works with Contec CMS50D+/E/F Oximeters either standalone or synced with CPAP data, up to firmware revision v3.7, plus data files produced by the SpO2Review software for newer firmware devices]

For central apnea, you need a sleep study in sleep lab, they wrap a belt around your chest to measure your breathing effort
Central sleep apnea when the airways remain open but the brain does not send signals to breathe
If you have been diagnosed with central sleep apnea, you need to be on a special machine designed to treat central sleep apnea

Do you take any pain relief medication list opiate as an ingredient?
Opiate medication known to cause central sleep apnea

Edit: for an oximeter, check Supplier #19
Supplers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Yes the finger probe goes on at 10 pm, same as machine...

I will be having a sleep study in sleep lab, not for a few months though..

But should I buy a machine or not??

Story

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 05:10 PM)storywizard Wrote: I have downloaded Encore Basic, and I notice that the data I found was using Indices as apposed to Events. I am not clear how these differ, I can see that for instance last night my Indices OSa and CAs were CA= 13.1; OS= 1.9. the same in SleepyHead.

I looked up what is the difference and how it is arrived at...I see that SH includes all events, Encore seems to have a cut off...anyway, will continue reading...

Storywizard

Those reading are equal to one another. If you take the SH total readings and divided it by the total sleep minutes and then multiply that by 60, you, should get the same number that Encore gave you. The Encore just does the math for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 06:21 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 05:10 PM)storywizard Wrote: I have downloaded Encore Basic, and I notice that the data I found was using Indices as apposed to Events. I am not clear how these differ, I can see that for instance last night my Indices OSa and CAs were CA= 13.1; OS= 1.9. the same in SleepyHead.

Storywizard

Those reading are equal to one another. If you take the SH total readings and divided it by the total sleep minutes and then multiply that by 60, you, should get the same number that Encore gave you. The Encore just does the math for you.

Thank you sir...Thanks

SW

Post Reply Post Reply
The indices (AHI, AI, CAI, HI, RERA I, and FL I in Encore) are the average number of events per hour of run time. They are all computed the same way:

AHI = (number of apneas and hyponeas)/(run time in hours)
AI = (number of apneas)/(run time in hours)
CAI = (number of clear airway apneas)/(run time in hours)
HI = (number of hypopneas)/(run time in hours)
RERA I = (number of RERAs)/(run time in hours)
FL I = (number of Flow limitations)/(run time in hours)

But the Encore VSI does NOT equal the number of "VS snores" divided by the run time. Exactly how this number is calculated and what it might mean is discussed in Snoring Data

Quote:But when I look at Events in Sleepyhead I see 119 CA events, 17 OA events...
These are the number of events recorded. These numbers are the numerators of the fractions that define the indices.

And a total of 119 CAs recorded in an ordinary 8 hour night is way too many CAs.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
yes that was a bit high, thanks for that Robysue...

bit better last night: CAs 65, OAs 14...

Still feel terrible though, like I feel when I have insomnia..

I am feeling that my issue is between being awake and surrendering to sleep, something is happening there...

I was amazed at the tech's complacency about my numbers, but I guess I should be grateful that she recognized that I need a sleep study...seeing my GP next week, will get that set up then...

I was really tempted to not get my own machine, the trial period ends this week, but after this afternoon's nap. and waking up trying to breathe I realize that, for now, I am a hose head...Coffee

I did read Robysue's essay on insomnia, have set myself up for better sleep hygiene...doing everything I can to make sleep happen...

thanks for being here...Sleep-well

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 09:43 PM)storywizard Wrote: I was amazed at the tech's complacency about my numbers, but I guess I should be grateful that she recognized that I need a sleep study...seeing my GP next week, will get that set up then...

Hi storywizard,

In my view, the key thing to make sure happens (as soon as your doctor gets back, before your sleep study) is that you are scheduled not for a standard CPAP titration, and not for a standard bi-level titration, but for an ASV bi-level titration.

Do not let them schedule you for a standard CPAP titration or for a standard bi-level titration, or you will be delayed more months to see if a standard CPAP or APAP or bi-level machine perhaps with oxygen supplementation would perhaps be "good enough" for you. What a colossal waste of time and money, when what you probably need is an ASV machine.

Good luck, and take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stormywizard, you maybe have EHS? You wrote that is something happen when you just fall asleep?
Exploding Head Syndrome, check that. And maybe some bacterial infection affecting your sleep, like lyme.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me strongly suggest you talk about the indexes, not the number of events. It's too confusing when you go back and forth.

If your CAI is 13, you may very well just have central apnea and need an ASV machine.

Or you may need to turn down the max pressure and see what happens. Sometimes you can find a balance between low pressure allowing obstructive apnea and high pressure causing centrals.

Look at your events with SleepyHead and see how long your central apnea events last, and see what the airflow waveform looks like. You might want to post them here. Take screenshots and post them.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 422 1 hour ago
Last Post: BigWing
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 50 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 536 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.