Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study: sleeping position
sleep study: sleeping position
I am getting my 4th sleep study September 1. I wanted opinions as to whether there is any agenda by the techs or doctors that we should be sleeping on our backs during the study, or is it OK to sleep on either side if we can?

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep study: sleeping position
I was allowed to sleep in any position I felt comfy, although I didn't sleep much. Sad

I get the impression that sleep centers operate differently, depending on where you live.

It wouldn't hurt to call the sleep center ahead of time and talk to someone about your concerns, this way you will know what to expect.

Good luck storywizard!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen sleep reports record sleep position, and there is an objective to observe supine sleep position for at least part of the study, since that seems to be most closely associated with OSA. Some studies may request you to sleep on your back, others seem to accept whatever sleep position you present that works for you. Different clinics have different approaches. You can probably call yours to ask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 10:34 AM)storywizard Wrote: I am getting my 4th sleep study September 1. I wanted opinions as to whether there is any agenda by the techs or doctors that we should be sleeping on our backs during the study, or is it OK to sleep on either side if we can?

Storywizard

Your 4th sleep study! How long have you been on CPAP? I have had one split sleep study and a titration and I have been on CPAP for about 5 years. My sleep study showed that I have less obstructive apnea if I sleep on my left side than on my back or my right side.

I would think that if you can't sleep on your back they would let you sleep on your side after trying to sleep on your back for a while.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi storywizard,
Good luck to you at your sleep study.
At one of my studies, the tech didn't want me to sleep too long on my back, but he really had a problem with me sleeping on my stomach, he told me that if I did, he would come in and get me to change positions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies...
think I will call the lab just to get an idea...

re how long have I been on CPAP:
I have been trying to make CPAP work for 2 years now, this is my 3rd time trying.
New sleep doc, who is fantastic, wants to start from a fresh study, just to see where I am now...

Was in at my dentist today, he described the delights of dental appliances, they sound horrible, but if they work I guess its OK...but I don't think I will be going there...

Well I will keep on singing and breathing....
Thanks

Storywizaed
Post Reply Post Reply
Storywizard, is this a titration study, or without PAP?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi there...
I believe this is without PAP...but I will clarify this tomorrow when I call the lab...
from what my doc was saying it will be without...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm of the opinion 98% of the population would be deemed to have sleep apnoea if tested when lying on their back.

Even if you are lucky enough to be able to sleep on your side for the test all the wiring and stuff connected to you makes you tend to spend quite a bit of time sleeping on your back.

I am a side sleeper and don't snore.. force me to sleep on my back [as I ended up doing for both of my tests, one of which actually had the monitoring machine strapped to my chest, guaranteed fail for me] and you will think a Hercules cargo plane is about to land in the room.

Subsequently I've been deemed to have sleep apnoea.
But if I could have the tests done without all the wires and garbage attached to me, and in a normal bed... I doubt they would have found the same result.

I agree that SA is definitely a health problem for some people, but I think the level they claim for sleep apnoea as a risk factor is way too low.
Given the costs involved in diagnosis and CPAP equipment, I'm sure some of it is "Gravy Train" by the medical profession and equipment suppliers

Good luck getting it all sorted out... whatever anyone else's opinions are, you need to be happy and confident that you are getting the correct results for your true medical needs so that you can manage your health now and in to the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
Imagine my surprise when I read the report from my sleep study: WAY more apneas and hypopneas when I was on my side(s) than on my back (more than double).  But, I still feel weird sleeping on my back because of all the programming over the years, so to speak.  I wear a soft c-collar to prevent chin-tilt and to keep my mouth shut.  I also tape. I know for sure I'm not moving around nearly as much as I did before PAP because my bed isn't torn apart in the morning. Anyway, I just hope for the best every night when i lay my head down and turn on the air.  So far, so good.  Smile
--Leslie

"It will all be fine in the end. If it isn't fine, it isn't the end."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.