goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 Vpap Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: yes shut off with water in it
CPAP Pressure: Mode ASVAuto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No longer know the new sleep study instead of a break out of percentage OSA and CSA simply says OSA

Sex: Male
sleep talking
I often say outrageous things in my sleep that are a dream state kind of thing. That means real peoples names get mentioned in little story lines that have not much to do with anything that happened.

This has gotten me in deep trouble before my sleep apnea diagnosis.
Even after... if the Full Face mask comes off and I am in dream state talking I have come completely awake looking at my wide awake girlfriend of the time who is up and listening with total concentration.

The nature of the beast, the female beast, is so I do not know. They will not tell certain things ever. Like what in the heck did I say? It is funny and awful at the same time.

Anyone else here have similar things going on?
01-09-2014 04:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: sleep talking
I don't talk in my sleep. If you really want to know what you say, record yourself. I have heard people talk in their sleep and none of what they said had anything to do with what actually happened (my stepfather was the sleep talker) and we used to record him because he didn't believe what we heard him say and do.

"I get asked a lot about how much truth there is in what people say when they talk in their sleep. Sleep talking is very common, occurring in about half of all children and one in twenty adults. This is certainly a recurring theme in literature and film. There are also plenty of anecdotal stories about people unwittingly speaking their most deeply help secrets while sleeping, including their latent homosexuality, secret adulterous affairs, and criminal activity. However, that is all that these are: anecdotal stories, and it would be incorrect to ascribe too much to what is mumbled or cried out by a sleeping person, and very risky to draw conclusions from it.

Incidentally, this is also the view of the courts. In 2001 the conviction of a Massachusetts man convicted of indecent assault and battery of a minor was overturned by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts after the judges decided that the jury was unfairly prejudiced after hearing what one of the children he was alleged to have abused had said while sleeping.

People looking for more information about sleep talking can find it in Arthur Arkin’s book Sleep-Talking: Psychology and Psychophysiology"
01-09-2014 09:28 AM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

I wonder if a chin strap would help you keep your mouth closed; thus eliminating any incriminating speeches. Laugh-a-lot
01-09-2014 03:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-09-2014 03:27 PM)PollCat Wrote:  I wonder if a chin strap would help you keep your mouth closed; thus eliminating any incriminating speeches. Laugh-a-lot

lol
01-09-2014 03:54 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(01-09-2014 03:27 PM)PollCat Wrote:  I wonder if a chin strap would help you keep your mouth closed; thus eliminating any incriminating speeches. Laugh-a-lot

The standard ones probably wouldn't hold tight enough. I'd suggest duct tape; specifically, Gorilla Tape... it's good stuff.

... of course the safest route is to not do anything in secret that you'd be afraid of revealing to someone during your sleep time. Whistle

(...just sayin'...) Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-09-2014 06:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: No longer know the new sleep study instead of a break out of percentage OSA and CSA simply says OSA

(01-09-2014 06:16 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  

The standard ones probably wouldn't hold tight enough. I'd suggest duct tape; specifically, Gorilla Tape... it's good stuff.

... of course the safest route is to not do anything in secret that you'd be afraid of revealing to someone during your sleep time. Whistle

(...just sayin'...) Eat-popcorn

Rolleyes Smiles unfortunately or fortunately I don't know which because I do not know exactly what I said. I do know that I have had girlfriends interrogate me in my sleep and got answers they did not like. Have you ever had to plead innocent to what you did not know you said?
I like the full face mask for this reason.
01-10-2014 04:43 AM
louied Offline

New Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none

Other Comments:

I have often wondered about this sort of thing myself. I had a buddy in the military who would talk in his sleep. We would sit and talk back to him and it would mess with his dreams. Those were fun times. My wife does this at times. She really went through a period where she was doing it several times a week. She would say all types of things that were crazy or mean. She would claim that she didn't recall saying any of it and never does when she is asleep. I don't know if that is true or not, but there were times that her "sleep talking" was hurtful.
01-24-2014 12:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
goodonya Offline

Preferred Members

I know for me it is only if I somehow wake all the way up while it is happening that I remember anything I said. Even then it is only the last few words just before the foggy wake up.
I know from what I do remember that it is a long ways from reality. I say some pretty outrageous things while sleeping. I would prefer to not have that awkward little idiosyncrasy. ... smiles...
01-24-2014 03:13 PM