Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleeping pills for insomnia?
sleeping pills for insomnia?
Which is the best way to get rid of insomnia? Does sleeping pills help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleeping pills for insomnia?
Hi EssienM and welcome to the forum!

Not sure if this answer is helpful or not, but I feel it's better to find the cause of your insomnia and deal with that rather than get on sleeping pills. They are a slippery slope. Back before I took early retirement, the rotating 12 hour shiftwork was getting to me, especially the nights and so I went to the doctor for sleeping pills. It wasn't too long before I couldn't seem to get to sleep without one, then it was one and a half, then two. Not sure if it was a physical thing or a mental thing but one way or another I was hooked. Took me quite a while to ween off them when I finally decided it was time.

So if there is any other way to treat your insomnia, I would encourage you to try other things instead.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping pills are supposed solutions for TEMPORARY problems. In fact, they typically become crutches. Eventually you have to come off them. Behavioral therapy is typically more successful. You can do it the self-help way first, but you could also ask your doc for referral to a psychologist who specializes in insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 05:05 AM)EssienM Wrote: Which is the best way to get rid of insomnia? Does sleeping pills help?

I dont think using pills is the best possible option really, unless you have severe clinical case insomnia. Maybe try oils or something like that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 05:05 AM)EssienM Wrote: Which is the best way to get rid of insomnia? Does sleeping pills help?

Hi EssienM, Welcome to the forum!

I would use sleeping pills as a last resort.

I had insomnia when I was first diagnosed, but it was mostly brought on by anxiety and trying to get used to Cpap treatment.  

I would lay in bed with mask on for hours before falling asleep.  I discovered that if I waited until I was really tired before going to bed, I could fall asleep faster.  

I also took Melatonin for a few weeks.  It does seem to reset your sleep clock, but doesn't work long term.  

Sleep Hygiene is very important.  Try to keep a schedule with your nighttime routine.  Use some soothing "white noise" to help you relax.  

I know many have struggled with this, but give it some time.  You may want to have a discussion with your doctor too.  Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I had it bad in January of 2016, I had a pretty good case of congestive heart failure. If I tried to lie flat I felt like I was suffocating
from all the fluid in my lungs. I would go to  bed about 10pm, then sit there till 1 or 2 am till I basically crashed and had to sleep.
then up at 5:30 for work.

My pcp recommended 0.05 mg of Xanax. I hate meds, but these helped, I was able to fall asleep faster, and no longer had a crazy
fear of drowning In my own bodily fluids. Unsure ( yes that is gross.) I only took about 1/2 the bottle. this is a tiny dose with no dopey side effects the next day.

Sleep is a very important part of your overall  health. get some help. it will help in all aspects of your life.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have insomnia, but I do have nights where I can't sleep at all. While I don't consider it ideal, ZZZquil can really help me get past those nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use some melatonin and valerian root which helps a lot with sleep. Many years ago I took meds for sleep, however, the body builds up a tolerance in a fairly short time.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I need something for sleep, I use a combination of some melatonin and valerian root which seems to help quite a bit.

I thought the first post didn't go through so I posted again, then still didn't see it so I refreshed the page and here are two entries. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I would consult with a doctor first before you take a script sleeping pill or a OTC one. Melatonin has helped my nephew sleep okay in the past. Don't know if he's still taking them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 160 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Sleep Maintenance Insomnia alienfrontier 0 105 04-03-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 611 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 273 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,072 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 990 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 278 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.