Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleepyhead question
sleepyhead question
Is there anyway to tell, using sleepyhead app, how much actual sleep you are getting vs how long you have the mask on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleepyhead question
You can look for periods when your flow rate, respiration rate, tidal volume, and minute vent rate appear to be steady, but no not with any real certainty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that the problem is not with SleepyHead. CPAP machines simply don't have the ability to collect or record that information. It might be possible for someone to write a bit of code that will analyze the breathing patterns and make an educated guess. All your CPAP machine has in the way of sensors is a pressure sensor and flow rate sensor. Everything it can tell you is based on the data collected by those two sensors.

There are apps you can get for your cell phone that claim to be able to do this, but in my opinion they can't really do it, either. I think they use the three-axis accelerometer in the phone, so you have to place the phone on your mattress next to you. Some communicate with a wrist watch that you wear while sleeping.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2017, 08:27 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Note that the problem is not with SleepyHead. CPAP machines simply don't have the ability to collect or record that information. It might be possible for someone to write a bit of code that will analyze the breathing patterns and make an educated guess. All your CPAP machine has in the way of sensors is a pressure sensor and flow rate sensor. Everything it can tell you is based on the data collected by those two sensors.

There are apps you can get for your cell phone that claim to be able to do this, but in my opinion they can't really do it, either. I think they use the three-axis accelerometer in the phone, so you have to place the phone on your mattress next to you. Some communicate with a wrist watch that you wear while sleeping.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to find another way.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at the pressure and flow rate, you'll see where they change. When awake, the flow rate is spiky (when looked at full view, not a zoom). The pressure may or may not increase (if on APAP). When you start to fall asleep, the flow rate will settle into a calmer routine and the pressure will increase then settle as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about reading Sleepyhead/Oscar reports TheManseHen 3 1,075 04-28-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,447 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  SleepyHead Flow Rate Question Ron AKA 3 1,588 03-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  sleepyhead and dreamstation question car54 3 1,374 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Question about SleepyHead graphs nosleeptilbklyn 6 1,453 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: nosleeptilbklyn
  SleepyHead Data Question tiwaniuk 5 1,349 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Last Post: stanleydean
  SleepyHead Question: machine settings on Daily Sidebar don't match actual settings Kris the Crone 6 2,145 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Kris the Crone

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.