Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI on the rise
Question 
AHI on the rise
I've been doing pretty well over the past year (after 6 months of struggling to find the right mask and right settings).  Been getting a solid 6-7 hours of sleep each night.  Feeling fairly well-rested and overall pretty comfortable with the whole experience.  But something changed a few nights ago and my AHI has been hovering above 5 (close to 10) for 4 or 5 nights now.  Was wondering if somebody would be willing to take a peek at my OSCAR data?   I included screenshots from two recent nights of higher AHi as well as one shot from a "good" night.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI on the rise
Of the 3 graphs you have given us the first 2 show a large amount of positional apnea. What is positional apnea?  It is when you cut off your own airway. NO MACHINE OR CHANG OF PRESSURE CAN HELP. You need to fix how you are sleeping. Because the 3rd set of graphs was ok it could be you are just sleeping on your back or with to high of a pillow and your chin is tucking down to your sternum - cutting off your airway. 

If it is not something you can control there is a COLLAR (see a link for a collar at the bottom of the post) that has helped a lot of people 

There are graphs that show before and after the use of a collar in the link.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the prompt reply and analysis.  Out of curiosity, what specifically on these graphs indicates positional apnea?   And yes, I typically start off sleeping on my back.  And yes, my pillow probably has my chin positioned too close to my cervix.  Will take that into consideration.  New pillow perhaps in addition to the collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the oa an h on the graph - they are grouped closely together. We only see that with positional apnea while in the 3rd graph you have them but they do NOT come in groups. 

Like I wrote earlier- because it does not show positional in the 3rd graph you MAY be able to eliminate it with side sleeping or changing the pillows. 

Collarars are not expensive and available at almost any drug store, Walmart, amazon. But fitting it and finding one that works for you can be difficult. The main fitting detail is the height. Measure the distance between you chin and sternum for a guide for the height.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again.  A followup question:

Is this something my doctor should have easily picked up on when viewing my data after I specifically asked him about my increasing AHI?  His only advice to me was to not worry about the AHI.  That since we have the machine set to variable pressure the AHI would fluctuate.  Thinking maybe it's time for a new doctor?   Only problem is the guy I see is considered to be one of the best in my area.
Post Reply Post Reply
We hear a lot of dr don’t recognize positional apnea but we see it and get good results from a collar. Drs look at the average events to see if the therapy is working. So changing dr might help but information here is much quicker than making an appointment and waiting a couple more weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 363 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rise in CA events and CSR GrandCentral 13 721 01-09-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 815 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  New Full Face Mask- Flow and Pressure Rise acruisertoo 8 807 08-06-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: acruisertoo
  [Symptoms] Central Apneas rise out of nowhere Andrewc88 7 1,144 06-27-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  Aircurve 10 VAUTO - missing Ti MAX/Min,Trigger, Rise time? sleep2023 9 1,016 06-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  [Equipment] AHI on the rise - until I disconnected humidifier! kbauhs 0 585 08-04-2021, 02:27 AM
Last Post: kbauhs

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.