Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulling off my mask, not remembering it.
RE: Pulling off my mask, not remembering it.
I came on today to write about this same problem. I have been using Cpap for several years with mixed results. I never attained the wonderful sleep I had hoped for. However it has saved me and I do sleep enough. I wear a lightweight mirage mask and use a resmed 9.
I often fall asleep without my mask, then wake up and put it on, only to find I have taken it off and wake after a few hours. It is frustrating and I have no memory of removing it. It's like my body doesn't want to put it on and if I do it doesn't want to keep it on. Apnea denial?
I wonder if I must not be struggling for air with it on and take it off?
Once it's off I have no idea how long I continue to sleep before I wake but I always wake with my heart racing, clearly having a problem getting air.
I saw the suggestion of raising the min pressure .
Does anybody else have any experience solving this problem.

Harry
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had problems with pressure too low as well.
From what I understand 4cm does almost nothing for you but
it is a low enough pressure to allow a good deal of your CO2 to back up the hose.
Your exhalations don't have time to fully get flushed out the small exaust vent so it has nowhere else to go but back up the hose.
The flow rate at 4cm is so low that it cannot flush this big slug of CO2 out of your mask before your next breath.
This effectively increases the 'dead space' in your mask.
On your next breath you inhale a big slug of stale air, much like breathing into a paper bag.
The natural reaction is: "This thing is too stuffy!! GET IT OFF!! NOW!!!!"
bumping your minimum up to about 6cm wont hurt you since you are already hitting 16 max but at 6cm
your mask/hose system will purge itself faster.

Try it. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You Shastzi
I have increased my low end pressure. I hope I don't get arrested.
I will try it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
You wont get busted for that Harry. Smile
You are being advocate in your your health care!
If your Doc finds out he/she might squawk is all or if your doc is liberal enough you'll get praise for
seeing you have a problem and taking the bull by the horns.

If the Doc gives you any crap just tell the Doc to jam it.
Diabetics are doing the same thing everday by keeping their own insulin levels in balence.
They are playing a LOT closer to the thin red line than we are too.
With CPAP, we aren't dealing with rocket science here, anyone with enough resolve can learn
how to manage the hardware these days or get help when needed.
So the Men in Black will not be breaking your door down and hauling you off to Gitmo for bumping your
pressure a bit.
Maybe soon you'll be able to sleep the whole night.

I change my car's spark plugs too. *giggle*

Hang in there and good luck, Harry. =^.^=

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 08:57 AM)Harryl Wrote: Once it's off I have no idea how long I continue to sleep before I wake but I always wake with my heart racing, clearly having a problem getting air.
see your doctor asap, waking up with heart racing is not normal with or without cpap
whats the pressure when you wake up? pressure displayed on screen and Resscan pressure graph
I would struggle at 4 but everyone is different. some might need lower or higher pressure

whats the AHI breakdown, pressure and leak stats (median, 95% , percentile and maximum)
AHI breakdown and leak only available on S9 Autoset and Elite (not on Escape or Escape Auto)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 05:35 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 08:29 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote: I have had my own CPAP for a little over a month now and I found that initially I tore my mask off often and for a long time. That is slowly decreasing. I find that I am imposing a little more discipline upon myself. When I am half awake and want to take the mask off I try to resist the temptation.

Hi Mike,

If the pressure is low when you feel like taking the mask off, it may help to raise your minimum pressure a little. Like 7 or 8 instead of 5.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks. I increased my pressure to 7 and it has made a big difference. I appreciate the advice.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the issue of taking off the mask during the night but only a few times in the couple of years I have been on CPAP. It does seem weird when you wake up and the mask and hoses are all stowed just I would normally do when I wake in the morning, but I have no memory of doing it. Ther is some interesting advice in this thread which I will keep in mind, but given it has only happened a few times I am not too concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,485 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] ResMed P10 Hose Pulling on Mask shenstone 5 782 01-17-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  having difficultly pulling in air on inhale gcritchley 10 1,114 09-03-2022, 07:51 AM
Last Post: gcritchley
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,679 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Pulling off my mask at night sesheridan 4 800 12-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Consequences of Pulling SD Card x3phillips 11 1,815 10-15-2020, 05:56 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.