Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

smelly RESMED S9
Angry 
smelly RESMED S9
I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: smelly RESMED S9
Just wondering what type of odor is it? Burning rubber maybe?
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
it is not a burnt smell it is a sweet oil smell and is 100 percent the silicone gasket material , as i isolated all the parts and the smell is coming from the silicone i have 2 units used and they both have the same smell my new unit bought 2 wks ago does not have any smell yet ,this is called off gassing and i am concerned of breathing this gas as it may cause lung cancer.. Resmed has been contacted and I will see if they make good ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Tagged for reference. I'd like to track this thread.
BTW -- did you take any photos as you took them apart.
I'd like to see the motor/blower.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Plastic used in CPAP Equipment
Is bisphenol A used in the manufacture of ResMed CPAP Equipment and is it safe?
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...800276.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The only time I have had a sort of a sweet smell is if I let my humidifier chamber run out of water. When I refill it, it corrects the smell problem as I use it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 08:45 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: The only time I have had a sort of a sweet smell is if I let my humidifier chamber run out of water. When I refill it, it corrects the smell problem as I use it.

probably because the extra heat releases gasses in the silicone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps they inadvertently used a homeowner handyman grade of silicone which smells like vinegar as it cures. Normally that smell goes away with time. It's actually acetic acid that makes the smell and it can damage sensitive components. The commercial grade of RTV silicone uses alcohol in the curing process.

If you need to buy some, look on the label for "a neutral non acidic cure that won't damage paint or rubbers" and you'll be getting the good stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 08:40 PM)zonk Wrote: Plastic used in CPAP Equipment
Is bisphenol A used in the manufacture of ResMed CPAP Equipment and is it safe?
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...800276.pdf
Seems safe, but if it is emitting an odor I would rather not inhale it as the containment of the molecular structure in BPA has been compromised.
(Did I really say that?)
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply

open the lid to your humidifier , remove the clear rubber seal on the bottom side of the lid and give it a smell, or pass it to a women in her early 30's and have her give you her opinion...(about the smell)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smelly mask/hose - what to do? Benzi 39 3,341 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  Bad Infection, smelly CPAP chrishw 19 5,614 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems zhentrixcalipso 17 15,435 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.