Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

smelly RESMED S9
RE: smelly RESMED S9
(08-15-2014, 06:55 PM)vicpete Wrote: I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
more pics further down the page...........

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 08:40 PM)zonk Wrote: Plastic used in CPAP Equipment
Is bisphenol A used in the manufacture of ResMed CPAP Equipment and is it safe?
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...800276.pdf

Bisphenol A is used in the manufacture of polycarbonate plastics. I do not believe that it is used in the manufacture of Silicone.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 09:08 PM)Airstream Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 08:40 PM)zonk Wrote: Plastic used in CPAP Equipment
Is bisphenol A used in the manufacture of ResMed CPAP Equipment and is it safe?
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...800276.pdf
Seems safe, but if it is emitting an odor I would rather not inhale it as the containment of the molecular structure in BPA has been compromised.
(Did I really say that?)

I guess you really did say that! I really did not understand the meaning of what you said. Probably because it went right over my head.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Taken from another posting.

Today, May 3, 2013 (after three days use), as a test, I detached the hose and took off the filter-cover/filter unit and then ran the machine in treatment mode with air blowing for several minutes. The "fragrance" was quite detectable at the end of my test, which means it was originating from the unit itself and not from the filter. I could smell the sweet smell at the rubber couplings on each end of the detached hose. I don't know if the smell on the couplings was residual from usage of the unit or if it was inherent. The hose and the rubber couplings may have their own, separate, odor problems.

The fact that a "sweet fragrance" is coming from the unit is quite troubling since a "smell" is particulate matter being detected by the olfactory system. Large interior particles, and any residual machining oils on any metal parts inside the machine, leftover from the manufacturing process, would most likely be cleared out quickly with use. That essentially leaves degassing of volatile compounds in the form of micro-particulates originating from the machine itself. Inhaled micro-particulates can travel deep into the lungs and may both coat lung material as well as get absorbed into the bloodstream. The exteriors of the AutoSet and the humidifier appear to be made of plastic. I don't know what materials make up the interior components.

Plastics are typical materials that degas micro-particulate volatiles. Many plastics incorporate phthalate esters to enhance certain physical properties of the plastics. Wikipedia contains the following text under its "Phthalate" entry:

"Medical devices and tubing may contain 20-40% Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) by weight, which "easily leach out of tubing when heated (as with warm saline/blood) ".[9] Several medical devices contain phthalates including, but not limited to, IV tubing, gloves, nasogastric tubes and respiratory tubing."

Note that phthalates are esters, and "Esters with low molecular weight are commonly used as fragrances and (are) found in essential oils and pheromones."--from the Wikipedia entry on "ester". My characterization of the smell from the machine as a "sweet fragrance" was made before I discovered that phthalates are esters. Phthalate ingestion is associated with breast cancer, endocrine disruption and other effects (from Wikipedia).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?

To remove odors from silicon I soak them in industrial alcohol 100% , 91% rubbing alcohol will work , soak for a couple of days . then I use Control 3 to give it a clean smell .

Just one word of caution ! Don't use canned Air to dust your machine out with that has the bitterant added to discourage inhaling . had one sent to me to repair and the owner used it to clean the dust out of his PR 660 , said he could actually taste and smell the bitterant and wouldn't go away . Yuck eeew ended up swapping out everything out and only using the board . Silicone sucks up odors better than odor eaters do , especially cigarette smoke .

Warning !!!!! Do Not Soak the Electronics or Blower Motor in Any Liquid !!!!! No where in the above quote does it say anywhere to use Alcohol on anything other than Silicone seals or Silicone parts !!!! Yes someone in another Post is Questioning the use of alcohol in the motor and electronics . Do Not Do IT ! You will have a new Paper Weight if you do ! I'm thinking of putting my old Einstein Quote back up .... A little Knowledge is a dangerous thing . So is a lot - Albert Einstein.'
Post Reply Post Reply
Great photos. Very impressive.
Where do you get 99.953% Isopropyl Alcohol?

@vicpete: Where do you suggest finding a 30 year old woman?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If all the silicone in a CPAP smells bad, I would think that one would smell it when using the machine. To me its kind of like formaldehyde fumes. At a certain concentration formaldehyde fumes are toxic. The actual fact of the matter is that a person can not stand to be in formaldehyde fumes that are well below the toxicity threshold. One would be getting out of the area in a hurry well before the toxicity level was reached unless one was disabled for some reason.

My 2 cents.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 02:33 PM)justMongo Wrote: Great photos. Very impressive.
Where do you get 99.953% Isopropyl Alcohol?

@vicpete: Where do you suggest finding a 30 year old woman?

got it from sayal electronics , a parts store in toronto
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 01:50 PM)JWR Wrote:
Quote:I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?

To remove odors from silicon I soak them in industrial alcohol 100% , 91% rubbing alcohol will work , soak for a couple of days . then I use Control 3 to give it a clean smell .

Just one word of caution ! Don't use canned Air to dust your machine out with that has the bitterant added to discourage inhaling . had one sent to me to repair and the owner used it to clean the dust out of his PR 660 , said he could actually taste and smell the bitterant and wouldn't go away . Yuck eeew ended up swapping out everything out and only using the board . Silicone sucks up odors better than odor eaters do , especially cigarette smoke .

Warning !!!!! Do Not Soak the Electronics or Blower Motor in Any Liquid !!!!! No where in the above quote does it say anywhere to use Alcohol on anything other than Silicone seals or Silicone parts !!!! Yes someone in another Post is Questioning the use of alcohol in the motor and electronics . Do Not Do IT ! You will have a new Paper Weight if you do ! I'm thinking of putting my old Einstein Quote back up .... A little Knowledge is a dangerous thing . So is a lot - Albert Einstein.'
isopropopyl alcohol of 99.9 percent pure anhydrous is commonly used to clean pc boards semi conductors contacts medical equipment and is safe on most plastics and I would not use rubbing alc. it has water and the water could do the damage,, i have not had any issues with washing out the blower just make sure the alc is will evaporated ! it may have sound as if i washed out the blower with water, sorry what i did was use pure alcohol
in the blower no water..the blew it out with air and the let stand for a couple of days, did 2 of them with no issues..the alternative was replace the blower.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smelly mask/hose - what to do? Benzi 39 3,341 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  Bad Infection, smelly CPAP chrishw 19 5,614 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems zhentrixcalipso 17 15,414 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.