Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

smelly RESMED S9
RE: smelly RESMED S9
When I got my S9 with the new heated hose, the hose stank. I thought it was the hose anyway. I tried washing it and no change. Smelt of strong plastic which went away after a week of use. Mind you I kinda felt sick with that stinking smell going into my lungs but I didnt really have a choice, I have severe sleep apnea and need to use a machine. Lets hope there are no permanent side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
My pulmanologist told me that anything other than pure clean air is damaging to the lungs to some extent and pure air itself is also guilty to a certain extent.

I don't trust air fresheners or spray disinfectants, etc. Perfume is probably harmful even. As for the polymers being released by plastics, they are known to be hazardous if inhaled over long periods of time. I doubt the short period of exposure you had will be harmful but you should always avoid things like that if at all possible. Health warnings from the government and industry are always behind time and you don't want to be in one of those groups that you see some unscrupulous lawyers trolling for on TV asking if you were exposed to something 20 years ago. Be safe, when you get a replacement hose, air it out good before switching it with the old one.

A heated hose would be even worse during the first usage period so turn the heat on it and run the the hose open ended (no mask) and let it blow all day. Then test for smell. Your nose is a good sensitive means and if it stinks, that stinks. Air it some more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 06:55 PM)vicpete Wrote: I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?

Hi vicpete,
Just curious - it's been a few weeks since you first posted about this problem. Reading thru the thread, I saw some interesting suggestions re alcohol, etc.

Have you solved the issue? If so, what was the solution?

TIA
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 07:48 PM)rtfmoz Wrote: When I got my S9 with the new heated hose, the hose stank. I thought it was the hose anyway. I tried washing it and no change. Smelt of strong plastic which went away after a week of use.

Likely it was just the outgassing of the plastic parts in the machine. It's doubtful that it caused any harm.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This might be a bit of track but having been a over the road truck driver for 21 yrs in my past I can tell you that those innocent looking pool noodles kids play with, arent so innocent when hauling them.

Put a load of newly manufactured ones in a dry van with no front and rear air vents and in a few hours your pulling a 52ft long bomb.
They out gas an explosive gas and have blown trailers nearly in half if they arent vented to let air flush the gas out.

Ive never smelled anything out of my new PR auto aflex but im sure there is some out gassing of plastic and seals right after manufacture. Hopefully not the pool noodle kind of out gassing though. Id hate to pop open like a ripe concord grape one night LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
"But dear, it's the machine --- not me! Honest!!!"

"Nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooo! Don't strike that match!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 08:45 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: The only time I have had a sort of a sweet smell is if I let my humidifier chamber run out of water. When I refill it, it corrects the smell problem as I use it.

i HAD exactly the same sort of sweet smell when I got mine on May 28th this year brand new.
Although I didn't find it bothersome but I did notice it each night and was reminded of it but I don't notice it anymore so perhaps you are right and thats what it is??!!!

But wouldn't others have noticed it as much as we did?

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:My pulmanologist told me that anything other than pure clean air is damaging to the lungs to some extent and pure air itself is also guilty to a certain extent.

Where do you all live?

I live right in the city and inhale car fumes and pollution and other than one problem I have, totally unrelated and curable and not caused by anything you have mentioned nor what I inhale every day, I guarantee I am more fit and healthier than anyone ten years younger.................the point being with all the gas fumes I inhale the LAST thing I concern myself with, is any of it and I know lots of 90 year olds just as healthy as myself, never ill who also have inhaled all these various things before as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 08:08 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: My pulmanologist told me that anything other than pure clean air is damaging to the lungs to some extent and pure air itself is also guilty to a certain extent.

Clean air is dangerous. Breathe it long enough and eventually you will die. Dielaughing
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 09:13 PM)becker44a Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 06:55 PM)vicpete Wrote: I JUST TORE APART 2 RESMED S9'S one vpap auto and another ELITE the Vpap has a bad bad smell and the Elite slight bad smell. tore down the blower and removed the silicone rubber washed everthing soap water 170 'f sterilized and rubbed down with alcohol ,,STILL STINKS they must have used a cheap silicone to make these ,, $1800. bucks for inferior products. this off gassing can't be very healthy !!!!!!!, anyone got a solution?

Hi vicpete,
Just curious - it's been a few weeks since you first posted about this problem. Reading thru the thread, I saw some interesting suggestions re alcohol, etc.

Have you solved the issue? If so, what was the solution?

TIA
I washed the internal silicone rubber parts with isopropyl alcohol 99% usp several times rubbing it down and letting it soak for a couple of days then repeating with clean alcohol. most of the smell is gone. my next attempt will be washing the seals with ozonated water . just have to find the time as my ozonated water source is only available at limited hours and it has a short 4 hour window of life before it is no longer useful. so for now isopropyl alcohol is the best solution i have found.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smelly mask/hose - what to do? Benzi 39 3,341 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  Bad Infection, smelly CPAP chrishw 19 5,614 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems zhentrixcalipso 17 15,435 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.