Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 10, EPR x2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

so hard to get a good coffee
I like iced coffee, but finding a good one is getting difficult. It seems like the big chain stores are consistently missing the mark.

At Dunkin' Donuts you get a cup of iced water, a muddy brown color that tastes like it came from a mop bucket. Not to mention the 1 lb. of undissolved sugar sitting at the bottom of the cup that surprises you on your first sip from the straw. Mmmm... sugar paste.

At Startbucks you get a cup of milk. Literally. It's as if you asked for "milk with coffee" instead of "coffee with milk." Great for inducing diarrhea, but that's about it. See exhibit A.

Don't get me started on Wawa. Somehow at this place "iced coffee" translates to "syrup" and "liquid candy."

Does no one know what the heck COFFEE is supposed to look like before they sell it for $3!?

Okay, that's all. Coffee I feel better now.

Exhibit A: Iced "coffee" from Starbucks... seriously.
[Image: IMG_20130915_181350.jpg]
09-15-2013 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Dental device, Quattro FX
Humidifier: RESMED H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4.0-12.0

Other Comments: Using TPAP custom dental device, with VPAP/BiPAP

RE: so hard to get a good coffee
You have no idea how bad it can get until you try a "coffee" from a Shipley's Donuts franchise. I won't patronize Starbucks because I am a fanatic cyclist and they won't serve you on a bicycle in their drive-through. Fortunately, we have lots of really cool locally owned coffee shops here in Austin, Texas.
09-15-2013 05:53 PM
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 AutoSet

Other Comments:

(09-15-2013 05:53 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  they won't serve you on a bicycle in their drive-through.
I can't say that I've ever seen a bicycle at a drive-through window, but that's kind of funny that they won't serve you.

Do they serve motorcyclists?
09-15-2013 06:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

At Startbucks you get a cup of milk. Literally. It's as if you asked for "milk with coffee" instead of "coffee with milk." Great for inducing diarrhea, but that's about it. See exhibit A.

Does no one know what the heck COFFEE is supposed to look like before they sell it for $3!?

I gave up on starbucks years ago!! even if I ordered a quad shot, it still tasted like milk and I do NOT like milk. I love iced coffee and finally resigned myself to making my own!! At least if it tastes crappy, I can complain to me about it and I haven't spent $6 for something I throw away!!
09-15-2013 07:04 PM
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Dental device, Quattro FX
Humidifier: RESMED H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4.0-12.0

Other Comments: Using TPAP custom dental device, with VPAP/BiPAP

(09-15-2013 06:59 PM)Paptillian Wrote:  
(09-15-2013 05:53 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  they won't serve you on a bicycle in their drive-through.
I can't say that I've ever seen a bicycle at a drive-through window, but that's kind of funny that they won't serve you.

Do they serve motorcyclists?
As far as I know they do serve motorcyclists.

I take my bicycle through independent FRIENDLY coffee shops on a regular basis. They are happy to give me fresh ice and water for my bottles and their coffee is fine.

Don
09-15-2013 09:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Iced coffee? Pretty much sacrilege over here, and in Italy, it would be considered the act of a barbarian. As for Starbucks - when they first opened a branch in Zurich, they nearly died, and had to pretty much shut down until they rethought their formulas and started serving coffee at European qualities and tastes. It is still considered pretty bad, compared to any local Lavazza or even Tschibo, but at least it is better now than it was, and you can do a decent cuppa when you absolutely need it. More than that you can't expect from there. If I want a large cup of coffee here, were call it an American, and serve it, alas, weaker than a "normal" coffee, but outside of Starbucks, I have not seen iced coffee on offer. You have to remember, this is country where most people have their own expresso or Nespresso machine at home, and grinding your own at home is about as common as it gets. In fact, I am an oddity in that I don't have any coffee making apparatus in the house. But then, at home, I have either tisane or a non coffee containing coffee substitute (which tastes like a decent German coffee), or I wouldn't sleep.
09-16-2013 04:33 AM
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

I suppose that in some parts of the world even iced tea would be sacrilege and it too must be taken hot. It's too bad because iced beverages are a tasty refreshment and sometimes a hot drink just doesn't fit the bill.

I love espresso (especially latte and cappuccino), but I would be a fool to compare them with filtered / drip-brewed coffee (a.k.a "American"). Two entirely different schools of coffee. Some coffee shops blend the two. For instance, I saw an american coffee with a shot of espresso being sold as a "Redeye."

American iced coffee, I believe, is double-brewed filtered coffee.

I'm pretty sure iced coffee is popular in Italy and other parts of the Mediterranean at least, but the difference is that they are unfiltered coffees (either espresso or instant coffee crystals). A couple examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iced_coffee (Espresso/Caffe Freddo)

Unfortunately Starbucks (at least in the US) gets it completely wrong. For example Macchiato is supposed to have very little milk. It literally means just a touch of milk. The Starbucks rendition? It's half cream and syrup. Oh-jeez
09-16-2013 08:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(09-16-2013 08:23 AM)Paptillian Wrote:  I suppose that in some parts of the world even iced tea would be sacrilege and it too must be taken hot. It's too bad because iced beverages are a tasty refreshment and sometimes a hot drink just doesn't fit the bill.

I love espresso (especially latte and cappuccino), but I would be a fool to compare them with filtered / drip-brewed coffee (a.k.a "American"). Two entirely different schools of coffee. Some coffee shops blend the two. For instance, I saw an american coffee with a shot of espresso being sold as a "Redeye."

American iced coffee, I believe, is double-brewed filtered coffee.

I'm pretty sure iced coffee is popular in Italy and other parts of the Mediterranean at least, but the difference is that they are unfiltered coffees (either espresso or instant coffee crystals). A couple examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iced_coffee (Espresso/Caffe Freddo)

Unfortunately Starbucks (at least in the US) gets it completely wrong. For example Macchiato is supposed to have very little milk. It literally means just a touch of milk. The Starbucks rendition? It's half cream and syrup. Oh-jeez

I never have figured out why people love Starbucks unless they think it is a status symbol to buy a $6 cup of coffee!! I tried Starbucks several times (different locations in case they had seasoned employees that knew how to make the coffee correctly) and every time, I threw it away or returned it b/c it was like drinking milk (which I do NOT like) rather than coffee (which I love a strong cup of coffee). I ordered a coffee from Starbucks once and paid extra for a quad shot and it still tasted like milk b/c they put the quad shot in and filled the rest with milk! Also, if you aren't careful, they will put the ice in the cup first, then the milk and then the coffee so you are actually not getting much coffee for the price you pay!! This is just my opinion!!!! Starbucks is overpriced!! That being said, once in a while, I wouldn't mind paying $6 for a cup of coffee IF it was coffee and not milk and it was a fair quantity and quality!! I wouldn't do that every day like some do. I would do it as a treat. So far, I have not found any establishment with a good cup of coffee!! I do know that Starbucks is not a good cup of coffee and I think it is more of a status symbol in the US than coffee being purchased b/c it is good!! had my morning laugh now!! ha ha Dielaughing
09-16-2013 09:14 AM
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(09-16-2013 09:14 AM)me50 Wrote:  I do know that Starbucks is not a good cup of coffee and I think it is more of a status symbol in the US than coffee being purchased b/c it is good!!

It's definitely not about the coffee, I've come to understand. It's about "Venti Non-Fat Dirty Chai."
09-16-2013 10:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

I do know that Starbucks is not a good cup of coffee and I think it is more of a status symbol in the US than coffee being purchased b/c it is good!!

It's definitely not about the coffee, I've come to understand. It's about "Venti Non-Fat Dirty Chai."
[/quote]

thanks for the laugh!!
09-16-2013 12:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 225 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad? justMongo 13 693 07-14-2016 06:00 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,463 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,285 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 934 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Learned a hard lesson GrammaBear 27 2,153 10-16-2015 12:06 AM
Last Post: regbeach
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,886 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk