Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Sex: Male

RE: so hard to get a good coffee
I'm not too picky...Tim Horton's is fine by me. Starbuck's is OK - don't know why everybody is complaining about the milk, they don't put it in there if you don't ask for it. 99% of the Starbuck's menu is made up of milkshakes disguised as coffee, but there is coffee there if you look hard enough. Just pull up and say "Venti Bold", will cost about $3.

I prefer the coffee I make at home. Cheap, $20, 12 cup, drip coffee maker; Choc full o' Nuts coffee (about 5 heaping scoops) and a tablespoon of dark cocoa powder (the kind you bake with, not sweet, not hot cocoa powder), cold distilled water, about five minutes of dripping and I'm good to go. I usually drink the whole pot myself - gets the wheels turning!

I know...that's too much coffee; but, I never EVER drink coffee after 10 pm...except sometimes.

lots-o-coffee
09-17-2013 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I prefer the coffee I make at home. Cheap, $20, 12 cup, drip coffee maker; Choc full o' Nuts coffee (about 5 heaping scoops) and a tablespoon of dark cocoa powder (the kind you bake with, not sweet, not hot cocoa powder), cold distilled water, about five minutes of dripping and I'm good to go. I usually drink the whole pot myself - gets the wheels turning!

I know...that's too much coffee; but, I never EVER drink coffee after 10 pm...except sometimes.
lots-o-coffee
[/quote]

It's a wonder you ever sleep!! lol

I make mine at home too (hope you get more than 12 cups for $20). I don't use distilled water but I do use purified cold water and I think it makes the coffee better. And, I like not spending $6 for a cup of coffee
09-17-2013 09:28 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Didn't know Tim Horton's was sold in the US. Go, Team Canada!
09-18-2013 06:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Timmy's is giving Dunkin Donuts a run for their money in the New England area. I do Dunkies here every so often, but often stop at the local Diamond Shamrock (gas station) and get a cup there. Prefer the dark roasts, but none of that foo-foo flavored coffee. Three kinds of coffee - spoon stands up, spoon dissolves, and eats through cup. :-)
09-18-2013 05:38 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

I have never heard of Tim Horton's before. I will have to look for it. I am in AZ so I will see if I can find it and try it. No foo foo coffee for me! I like my coffee strong, strong, and strong! lol Coffee
09-18-2013 08:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

The only thing is, by European standards, your strong, strong, strong, is still brown water to us.... To be fair, you do strange things to tea, too.... and let's not go near the beer question (which is really like making love in a canoe....). Now, the Greeks, if you want to talk about standing a spoon up in it, they can do coffee that bites back.
09-19-2013 05:31 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(09-19-2013 05:31 AM)DocWils Wrote:  The only thing is, by European standards, your strong, strong, strong, is still brown water to us.... To be fair, you do strange things to tea, too.... and let's not go near the beer question (which is really like making love in a canoe....). Now, the Greeks, if you want to talk about standing a spoon up in it, they can do coffee that bites back.

Well, strong, strong, strong for me may meet European standards [would love you to give an example of this :-) ]. The only thing I put in my coffee is cinnamon when it is brewing.

I agree that a lot in the US may do weird things with their tea, brew it hot, add ice to make it cold, sweetener of some sort, etc. I drink virgin tea lol (sometimes ice in it when it is 120 degrees outside)

Can't comment on beer b/c I don't like the taste of beer!

Happy day to all!
09-19-2013 09:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Paptillian Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 10, EPR x2

Other Comments:

In terms of consistency, yeah, I have to agree that drip coffee is 'brown water' compared to others. But in terms of caffeine, I think the average American coffee is stronger only because our serving sizes are ridiculous. A 16-24 oz. cup of 'joe' has much more caffeine than a 1 oz. espresso shot. Even an 8 oz. cup I think is like drinking two espresso.

As for the beer, I really enjoy microbrews. If you get a chance Doc, next time you're in the states try out some of our smaller / local brews and avoid the national brands which are watered down for the masses. It's night and day... but i'll water down your wallet Big Grin
09-19-2013 10:20 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Back in my younger days when I was flying as a navigator for Uncle Sam and deployed to Saudi, the four of us on the flight crew had some Saudi Espresso after dinner one night before a night flight. We should have suspected something when it poured slower than road tar. After a 20 hour flight, we were all still wired. I think it took another day to get our systems halfway back to normal. Luckily, we had an extra pilot onboard who kept us out of trouble.
09-19-2013 02:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

As far as coffee goes, saying that one has to go to Europe to find a truly strong brew simply isn't true. There are plenty of immigrants from all over the world who make a living here in the U.S. running small restaurants. There are no laws here prohibiting an Italian immigrant from serving a proper cup of espresso in his or her restaurant and most major metropolitan areas have plenty of places where you can get one. Sure, dirty brown water may be what passes as the generic standard cup o', but you really don't have to settle for it - and you can make your own any way you want. Roasting and grinding beans then forcing steam through them ain't exactly rocket science.

So weak coffee is common here, but at least we don't dip fries in mayonnaise or listen to David Hasselhoff music - there is balance in the universe...

Big Grin
09-19-2013 10:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 218 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad? justMongo 13 688 07-14-2016 06:00 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,447 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,273 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 927 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Learned a hard lesson GrammaBear 27 2,135 10-16-2015 12:06 AM
Last Post: regbeach
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,868 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk